BC Boards

Fun With A Mirror

Star

Got a big mirror down from the wall today to see what Star would do when she saw herself in it. I did this because the other night she looked at the fireplace (glass door) and woofed and last night she seemed to see her reflection in the back door. She'll also watch t.v. and is especially interested in other dogs on tv. Well, she didn't have any interest in the mirror, but Seven (my 11 year old hound mix) was fascinated. I wish I had a video! She thoroughly sniffed the mirror and the dog in the mirror. Maybe she was wondering why that dog didn't smell! The she stood, transfixed, with ears up and head cocked. She stood like this for a few minutes and then went to the back of the mirror. Came back around front, sniffed some more, then stood and stared again. You could see the wheels spinning for sure! I told the girls smoke was going to start coming out of her ears, she was thinking about it so hard. She went and checked behind the mirror again, then came around front and stared yet again. I don't know how long she would have done this--after about 10 minutes, we put the mirror back up. I'll have to get it down for her again tomorrow and see what happens with some more time!

Speedy loves to see himself in a mirror! I've always joked that I would love to do a Freestyle routine to "You Are So Vain" and have a mirror as a prop. He could bow to himself in it, touch his paw to himself in it, etc.

Probably won't ever do it, but I always get a kick out of how happy his own reflection makes him.

I find mirror responses to be interesting. I have a large mirror over my bathroom vanity, and a lot of floor space in front. I have found that two of my dogs will actually stand in the bathroom and make eye contact with me in the mirror when my back is to them. If I turn around and look at them then they look me in the eye directly.

And then to be slightly more on subject, Linc goes nutso if he sees his reflection in the storm door, but is not concerned about a mirror.

I heard an interesting story once. They brought a mirror outside where two young gorillas (I think) were. One gorilla just kept going behind the mirror, trying to figure out where the other animal was. But the second, smarter gorilla quickly figured out what was going on, and promptly spum around so he could finally see what his own butt looked like.

I thought that was really clever. :)

Buddy used to bark at the dog in the mirror, but now he just ignores it. It's a useless friend and an enemy with no claws.

Mary

Like Laura's and Tania's dogs, Ouzo loves to watch me in the mirror. He sometimes actually pretends not to look at me through the mirror, but if I start making faces and waving at him (his back is at me, I'm sitting on the couch, and he's in between the couch and the mirror), he turns around and looks straight in my eyes and jumps on the couch to lick my nose and tell me what a fantastic joke that was :))))))

My wife put up a new calendar in the kitchen for this year. The image for January is a photo of someone looking towards the camera.

A few mintues after the calendar was up Dex started barking and growling in the kitchen. When I went to investigate (as so often happens with a Border Collie!) I found him locked in a stare with the calendar in a face-off. I think he thought a new window had been added to the house and a stranger was looking into the room through the window!....We had a good laugh.

Oh! I forgot this story, too...

My father's last dog, who looked husky/shepherd or possibly BC mix, would sit next to the dinner table and watch our family's reflection in the oven glass. If someone held out a hand as if to give her food, she would turn away from the glass and go to the person holding out the food. Seems as thought the glass gave her a "wide angle" view she couldn't get from standing close to the family.

Mary

I heard an interesting story once. They brought a mirror outside where two young gorillas (I think) were. One gorilla just kept going behind the mirror, trying to figure out where the other animal was. But the second, smarter gorilla quickly figured out what was going on, and promptly spum around so he could finally see what his own butt looked like.

Hee! That's awesome. He'd been wondering for SO long...

Year or 2 ago....Someone posted a picture of 2 dogs sitting apparntly by an entryway... but what wasn't quick to be seen, was that they were watching the family in the reflection of the glass doors....the title of the picture was something like...always staring or always watching... I think post might have been about someone's border collie always staring at them or something like that...I remember being vwery impredded with the photo.

My wife put up a new calendar in the kitchen for this year. The image for January is a photo of someone looking towards the camera.

A few mintues after the calendar was up Dex started barking and growling in the kitchen. When I went to investigate (as so often happens with a Border Collie!) I found him locked in a stare with the calendar in a face-off. I think he thought a new window had been added to the house and a stranger was looking into the room through the window!....We had a good laugh.

The other nite I was watching a Nature show on Yellowstone. Clip of wolves hunting elk came on and Star was completely fascinated. Watched the whole thing with ears up and a look on her face that said, "Hey, I could do that!" (I really need to get her on sheep). Next scene was a cross country skier-head on shot of him coming toward the camera. Star did not like this guy, and woofed (she does this little muffled woof sometimes) at him until he went away.

I had moved a large mirror a few weeks back. It was sitting on the floor leaning against the wall where i planned to hang it later. This room is also our laundry room. Any time i would enter the room Kay-ak would run over to the mirror and watch me in the mirror until I was finished and left the room. I found it funny but it really bugged my wife. let's just say the mirror finally got hung up. :) On a side note Kay-ak never paid any attention to herself in the mirror, just us.

Archived