BC Boards

Over the counter anti inflammatory?

Lewis Moon

Cerb took a tumble while "turnin' and burnin'" last Sunday. He limped a bit right off but recovered fully without a limp within two or so minutes of "walking it off". We assumed it was nothing problematic because he showed no signs of any pain or stiffness even during his afternoon runs. There were a few small random yelps when wrestling but nothing really occurred until last night. While playing with Rose he yelped and started limping badly on the same leg. He seems to be recovering this morning and only limps a bit when he gets up from sleeping. We're going to rest him as much as practical over the next few days but I was wondering if there is an over the counter anti inflammatory I can give him?

Not really safely. Dogs can take aspirin but they are much more sensitive to the GI effects than even us. Perhaps you can put a call into your vet & pick up some Deramaxx or Metacam first thing in the am.

I would keep him activity restricted- leash walk only to potty & no stairs. If it is a rear leg I always worry about cruciate injuries.

Good luck & keep us posted.

Not really safely. Dogs can take aspirin but they are much more sensitive to the GI effects than even us. Perhaps you can put a call into your vet & pick up some Deramaxx or Metacam first thing in the am.

I would keep him activity restricted- leash walk only to potty & no stairs. If it is a rear leg I always worry about cruciate injuries.

Good luck & keep us posted.

The injury seems to be to his front left "wrist". I've squeezed, poked and stroked but I can't really elicit a response that would tell me exactly where it is and there is little if any swelling. My vet would want to do a full work up with X-rays, and I can't blame her, but I'm going to reserve that for after a few days of rest. Make no mistake, if he's limping Tuesday night, he'll have a vet appt Wednesday morning.

Rest him more than you think practical - as in no playing/running/jumping. I know, it's just about a death sentence for a young bc, but he'll likely make the injury worse with repeated use.

I'd get him in to the vet tomorrow, tell her you want a conservative approach, and get a prescription anti inflammatory for Cerb. Have him on restricted activity for as long as the vet recommends.

If he'll let you today, massage his whole leg very gently.

Poor boy, I hope he feels a lot better soon.

Ruth

Archived