BC Boards

Socialization Question

This past weekend we visited some friends and took Star and Seven with us. They have a bearded collie they rescued in June. When we discussed if bringing our dogs along was an okay idea my friend said she really didn't know--her dog has been around a little dog a few times and been okay. Mine tend to love everyone they see (except Seven is afraid of little dogs)--on walks, at the dog park, the neighbors' dogs. So when we get there I take them for a little potty walk and then come in the house. They all stop and stare at each other, Tula starts growling, and Seven and Star start barking at Tula (the bearded collie). The last thing we want is a fight on our hands, so we walk Star and Seven away. Long story short, we got so that they were all okay with each other when outside on walks. Several times we had loose running dogs come up and all three of our dogs were saying, "Yay, friend, play, play." But in the house they would eye each other, Tula would growl, and Seven and Star would start barking. As an enlightening aside, today at the vet's office, Seven and Star saw another dog and couldn't have been happier to see him. Was it a female thing? Territory thing? Did we do something wrong? My husband thinks Seven was totally out of character, as do I. But he thinks she was starting it. I am pretty sure that Tula would growl first every time. Just looking for feedback and helpful hints next time

This past weekend we visited some friends and took Star and Seven with us. They have a bearded collie they rescued in June. When we discussed if bringing our dogs along was an okay idea my friend said she really didn't know--her dog has been around a little dog a few times and been okay. Mine tend to love everyone they see (except Seven is afraid of little dogs)--on walks, at the dog park, the neighbors' dogs. So when we get there I take them for a little potty walk and then come in the house. They all stop and stare at each other, Tula starts growling, and Seven and Star start barking at Tula (the bearded collie). The last thing we want is a fight on our hands, so we walk Star and Seven away. Long story short, we got so that they were all okay with each other when outside on walks. Several times we had loose running dogs come up and all three of our dogs were saying, "Yay, friend, play, play." But in the house they would eye each other, Tula would growl, and Seven and Star would start barking. As an enlightening aside, today at the vet's office, Seven and Star saw another dog and couldn't have been happier to see him. Was it a female thing? Territory thing? Did we do something wrong? My husband thinks Seven was totally out of character, as do I. But he thinks she was starting it. I am pretty sure that Tula would growl first every time. Just looking for feedback and helpful hints next time

IMHO, I would have introduced them somewhere on "no man's land". When we bring a new dog into the picture, be it introducing a new dog to ours, or introducing ours to someone else's dog, I try to do it

on a walk or a park or somewhere that isn't any particular dog's home territory. I know if a strange dog came into our house, even the friendliest dog on earth, Maggie would have no part of it. On neutral

ground, it takes a few minutes, sometimes longer, but normally things play out much better. Compare it to someone you know nothing about, just showing up and saying "Hey, I'm here, deal with it."

Mike

My dog reacts different in his own territory or in closed-in territory. Wide-open spaces, with lots of room for him to slowly approach other dogs, are ideal. He's still very reactive if he's cornered by a dog or a person, and will try to drive off even his best friends if they dare to jump up on his car when he's in it.

Mary

• 2 weeks later...

My dog reacts different in his own territory or in closed-in territory. Wide-open spaces, with lots of room for him to slowly approach other dogs, are ideal. He's still very reactive if he's cornered by a dog or a person, and will try to drive off even his best friends if they dare to jump up on his car when he's in it.

Mary

Thanks for all of the feedback. Sounds like the territory was an issue and we should have started outside in a neutral area. I'll remember this next time.

Archived