BC Boards

Pal's results

luvmybc's

well Pal passed his HT. YAY!!! I was SO mervous and he was so calm, he didnt pay much attention to me...just sat there and watched the stock before it was almost our turn. I did a few things that i messed up on, that i did do perfectly in practice...but that's expected. So its my fault, not the dogs'. Anyways all went well, and we have to do the same run tomorrow..which im not worried about anymore.LOL!!

Thanks for all yall's support.

ACK trials are designed for breeds other than Border Collies. They are kinda dumbed down. Border Collies trials (ISDS style) don't have instinct certificates, tested classes, or round pen courses. You also don't get titles.

What you get is the knowlege that you are following in the footsteps of the folks who developed the Border Collie breed. You also get the fun of testing your dog against the standard of competition that is specifically created for the Border Collie (though other breeds can play too - we're not snobs, we just make it really hard for other breeds of dog :rolleyes: ).

Herding in the AKC is just a game, and not a very important one at that. IT has nothing to do with refining livestock working skills, or with maintaining a particular standard of working ability in a breed as a whole. It's a teeny pond, and most Border Collies are big, big fish in it. They don't belong there - it's much more fun to trial where the competition is more about working sheep and growing together as a working team, and not about "getting titles".

For more information on the AKC and the working Border Collie, see http://bordercollie.org/akc.html

Does your trainer do USBCC trialing? If not, does he or she know someone who does?

Yes.

Edit: Guess I should have asked why you think it wouldn't hold up in court. In a contract, both parties voluntarily undertake certain obligations to each other. Unless the obligations involve actions that are illegal or contrary to public policy, they are pretty much always enforceable by the other party. Here the parties to the contract agree not only that the dog must not be registered with the AKC, but also what the penalty (called "liquidated damages") will be if it is registered. The buyer is not under duress -- if he is unwilling to agree to those terms, he can and should refuse to sign the contract and go elsewhere for a pup. Once the buyer signs, why should he not be held to his bargain?

Well done on the beginning. That's where I started too, but I got really lucky and found a trainer who has done the real stuff - and who has a sheep farm. So now my little Barbie Collie doesn't have any more herding titles, but she is becoming a handy little farm dog, and I'm becoming a reasonably competent farm hand (a whole new career in retirement - yay!) I've got to say, I'm so much prouder of the fact that Kirra can get 200 sheep into a forcing yard, and through a drafting race - or can take 8 sheep out to a new paddock - or can gather and drove (it wasn't proper driving) 350 lambs down a 70 acre paddock - than I would be if she was just doing AKC type arena trials - apart from the fact that I'm probably a bit too lazy to try to put that sort of somewhat mechanical control on her.

So if you have any chance at all of branching out - do take it. You won't regret it.

• 3 weeks later...

Samantha,

First off the USBCHA is not a registry like the AKC. It also does not give titles for completing a Novice-Novice course or for choosing to move up to the next class; these are what I would consider "feel-good" titles. In fact the USBCHA has nothing to do with classes (Novice-Novice, Pro-Novice, Ranch, etc.) other than Open and Handlers' Nursery. The USBCHA does hold an annual final competition for which there are winners much like NCAA has annual final's winners. Also like the NCAA, one must earn (points) the right to compete in the finals and last years points are worthless. Just like the NCAA, last year's winner must re-earn the "title" this year; where as with the AKC, once a "Champion" always a "Champion". It's kind of like school, once you graduate, there's no need for you to re-earn your diploma. So there is a difference between what the AKC awards and what the USCBHA awards.

Mark