BC Boards

Dog Booties

Does anyone have any suggestions on what type of dog booties to get? Nitro gets a lot of snow in his feet and then ends up limping home after play at the dog park.

:( I was looking online and can get some from Petsmart but Im not sure how good they really work. I need ones that come up the leg rather than just covering the paws... He is too smart and knows how to take those smaller ones off... :P

Thanks!!!

If it's just snow balls between the toes causing a problem then try some petroleum jelly rubbed into the fur.

If you find you need booties contact these people... www.dogbooties.com They will tell you which ones to buy based on your needs, snow conditions, type of dog, etc.

I tried booties with Shadow a number of years ago for the same reason you did. Like your dog, it took her about 6 minutes to figure out how to remove them. If I forced her to wear them, she refused to go out. Depends on your dog's personality type of course, but if you've got a stubborn one, you may just be throwing your money away on more booties. I like the vaseline idea and wish I'd known about it during Shadow's younger days.

I also have gone through a couple pairs of boots for walking Buddy in winter. They ended up being more trouble than they were worth, IMO. The thin, flexible ones wore through very quickly, and the "top end" ones with rubber soles still slipped off from time to time, which meant I had to take my mittens off to handle snowy boots during VERY cold weather. Not cool.

I ended up buying a large tin of "Musher's Secret" and keep it by my front door. When we go out in the winter, I put it on Buddy's paws. It's more beeswax than vaseline, I think, and doesn't seem to mess up my floors/furniture.

This is as cheap as it comes on eBay. A 200-g tin has lasted me through 2 winters, and is enough to start a 3rd.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mushers-Secret-Mushers-Protects-Dog-Cat-Paws-Ice-Snow-/300367980396?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45ef53a76c

Good luck!

Mary

We sometimes use the boots from the listed website when we trail sheep on the paved road. The dogs are too busy to take them off, and they do help a lot. The boots will only last 2 to 3 moves, but they are cheap and worth saving pads. I have friends who use duct tape to keep them on.

Lana

Where I live the town and residents are hell bent on putting tons of salt everywhere, so I don't really have a choice. I bought Ruffwear boots. They are expensive and they don't come high up the leg but they are the best ones I've used so far. I used to have a pair of Muttlucks which are longer and my Aussie shepherd would have them off in no time. It's true that some dogs won't put up with them but because of the salt, I need my dog to have some kind of footwear.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions! We live in WA and so far have gotten a lot of snow! Although, they do not plow and salt the streets, instead they put loose gravel down... :huh: I've noticed that just on our walks to and from the dog park he has been getting a few rocks in the snowball on his feet. I think I will try the vasiline before I get the booties. Hopefully that will work!

Thanks again!

:D

Hey, Bullet, where in WA do you live? I think I read in another thread that you just moved to the state. If you live in western WA (west of the mountains), this snow we just had is pretty abnormal. We usually don't get much snow. If you live on the east side, though, snow happens. A lot.

I'm way north & west in WA, on a funny little island closer to Vancouver Island than the mainland. There's TONS of stockdog people in the area. Lots of trials, clinics, etc. Even if you don't do stockwork, it's always fun to come watch.

Musher's Secret is great. It is wax based and does not stain floors and is not slippery for the dog once rubbed in. I used to use vaseline, but that will stain floors and because of the greasiness, small pieces of salt and rock would stick to her paws.

Actually, I use Musher's Secret on the backs of my hands when they get really chapped. Once absorbed, it is not greasy and protects my hands quite well.

Link to website Musher's secret

Rob

Archived