BC Boards

Wish us luck

Keegan's Mom

Rachel, Join the club! Everyone and everything think faster than I do. By the time I figure out what's going on, it's over and done with already and the sheep and dog are on to something else.

Have fun becoming a partner with your dog in a new and wonderful endeavor. Good luck and best wishes from another newbie!

Hey Rachel, that's great. Depending on how good your trainer is, things could be a little exciting, but in any case, you'll be on the way to doing something with your dog that will give a whole new dimension to your relationship. I know you probably can't imagine appreciating Keegan more than you do now, but trust me, you will. (Of course, there'll probably also be times when you want to murder him and/or dig a big hole and climb in it. :rolleyes: )

Mark said

Hehehehehe, another one soon to be sucked in.
And he's right. Now I spend the best part of 2 days a week at my trainer's farm, an hour's drive away. But I'm in the lucky position where I can now help with sheep chores (sometimes with Kirra, sometimes with her tied up watching) - partly to pay for sheep rent, and partly to learn more about sheep and stock handling. If you get the chance to do something like this, take it. What you learn in your lessons makes so much more sense when you see how it fits in in practice.

Hope you and Keegan have a great time on Saturday.

I was sucked in a while ago...but now I can afford it!!!! No one said that owning a Border Collie would be cheap, but I've loved every minute of it.

However, I can't seem to convince my husband that owning a sheep farm is a great idea!!! He said we would end up with 100 sheep as pets because I could never sell them. :rolleyes: He is probably right.

Rachel

He said we would end up with 100 sheep as pets because I could never sell them. He is probably right.

You might be surprised what you'd be willing to do once the sheep have knocked you down trying to get through the gate your holding. You may find there are individuals you won't miss and may actually be happy to see go. Of course there will be individuals you take a liking to. What may surprise you is why you like some: good for working young dogs, challenging to older dogs and/or handler, courteous while sorting at gates, calm while trying to trim feet or vaccinate or deworm, no hassle at lambing, good mother, gives good sized twins, produces ewes you like, etc.

Mark

I call sheep I like "humble" - the ones that never attract my attention. They drop and raise their lambs without trouble, work well, have lambs that tolerate parasites well and grow nicely once weaned. When I start sorting out culls, is the only time they catch my eye - and they and their lambs get to stay! Except my poor humble ram who outstayed his welcome now that I'm breeding his grandkids. But he's so nice he earned a brief reprieve on the farm of a sick friend who needs a trouble-free lambing year.

I still wonder if I can eat my own sheep, well I eat meat from the store so it is hypocritical not to eat your own, but maybe next year I will find out. After having a sheep knock me down and my acl torn, it will probably be easier to eat a homegrown one. I train at a place where there is a favorite that is great for training and sweet and that one has been kept from slaughter. The owner there says the nasty ones are easy to let go. If only the fence will be in to get lambs next spring. I hope I am up to the challenge of keeping livestock. I will be asking questions about it and appreciate all the input here. Yes another one being sucked in Mark!

Caroline

Caroline,

You'll love it. We do. I find there's nothing more relaxing than sitting on our front porch watching the sheep graze. We love it so much that if it were financially feasible I'd change careers. But right now I feel it's just out of reach.

Mark

P.S. We eat our own. I find I'm more grateful for our lamb than the meat we buy in the store.

Grateful nothin'. They taste better! Seriously, by the time you are feeling them up to pick a "company" joint, or a freezer lamb for someone, they are not pretty little lambs any more. You ARE grateful, grateful for the chance to reduce your workload by one mouth!

I can't wait either! So I won't - I'm going tomorrow, seriously. But I'll also run out there, Saturday - most likely around the time you're there.

I haven't seen the poopies in a week! I caught a wee virus and couldn't go out there since Steve was getting a chemo treatment yesterday. It wouldn't be cool to give him a virus while he had basically no immunity . . . :eek:

I can't wait to see you guys. I hope Keegan is rarin' to go. He'll be working lambs born on my place. They are a little calmer and more humble than the big hair ewes he worked at the clinic.