BC Boards

OT - Pacific NW

Keep in mind that right now Seattle (and everything around it) is very into the "year of the dog" - so it is more doggie then it usually is. Most of....everything, that is going on has a special focus on dogs. So you see more dog stuff right now then you might see some other year. However it IS usually this dog-friendly - that hasn't changed.

• 3 weeks later...

Reviving this b/c I'm being flown out to Seattle later this month for a few interviews. I want to look at places to live while I'm out there, so am researching the areas now. Any advice on where to look and where to avoid? I'd love to be within walking distance of parks and water (or beaches), possibly a small house/duplex with a little yard? Oh yeah, and affordable, and takes 4 well-trained dogs. LOL Is this a pipe dream? West Seattle looks nice and affordable? The towns north of Bellevue (where my office would be) seem expensive.

Anyone want to meet up and show me around Seattle a bit? :rolleyes: THANKS!!

Originally posted by Meg's mum:

Lisa,

If you're heading up to Seattle from Olympia on your way out then stop at the glass museum in Tacoma on your way up. Sit for a show from the glassworks if you can but look at the exhibit in the main hall. I fell in love with the glass sculptures there last weekend.

Other than that please come back again and let us locals know you're here so that you can meet our furry alter egos.

Heidi

Funny you mentioned the Museum. Hubs and I went there for our first time on Memorial day weekend. It was really cool. BTW I was born and raised here in Washington. I have been to other states but would live no where else but here. The long, wet, and dark months do grind on the nerves but come springtime it's all worth it.

I'd love to be within walking distance of parks and water (or beaches), possibly a small house/duplex with a little yard? Oh yeah, and affordable, and takes 4 well-trained dogs. LOL Is this a pipe dream? West Seattle looks nice and affordable? The towns north of Bellevue (where my office would be) seem expensive.

I live east and a little South of Bellevue in Maple Valley. Black Diamond, North Bend, Maple Valley are not quite as expensive as Sammamish and Issaquah and Bellevue. I work in Bellevue myself in the Eastgate area.

My area, the Issaquah Alps and the Issaquah drainage basin on one side and the Cedar River Watershed on the other form the foothills of the Cascades in this neck of the woods. Hiking and trails everywhere. Lots of Parks. Community centers, but density is low. This is scenic mountain/green Washington semi-rural every 4th house has a horse or a goat or a cow or sheep , or two.

West Seattle is hip, and sweet and not completely misearble to commute to Bellevue from. Lots of parks, lots of people, lots of little neighborhoods, and Seattle is a hop skip and a jump away. This is the roller blade, bicycle, paradigm and waterfront view paradigm.

I've never done anything with my before married bungalow, cause I've never finished working on it. It's in Shoreline. I love Shoreline. Everyone is great, quiet, but fun, park a half a block away. Things are close but it doesn't feel dense. You can breath, and Seattle is 10 miles south. I made the commute from Shoreline to Bellevue for three years. If you leave early the 28 miles takes 28 minutes. During rush hour it is much worse, but there are at least two alternate routes and my goodness. You have the Sound on one side and Lake Washington on the other, and lots of dog parks.

My little bungalow is on a 1/3rd acre half covered in trees, needs fencing and work. It has two small bedrooms, a living room/dinning room, utility and attic room, and workshop, and a small kitchen, front and back yards and great neighbors. Its idle right now while I'm slowly working on it. Not enough time. I think 4 dogs improves the property. If you're handy and a bit Bohemian, send me a note.

Meg's Mum, I just noticed your last name. DW, who is of Scottish origin, had the name Draffan as her maiden name. All of the names with deriviative suffixes (-an, -ane, -en, -in) are in fact related, having been spelled in various ways at Ellis Island upon entry by Scottish immigrants, and are part of the Douglas clan, with origins in the area of Edinburgh; thus, you and DW are probably related (although distantly, I am certain). If you ever visit Scotland, you can visit the settlement of Draffan; it is within easy driving distance of both Edinburgh and Glasgow. I would suggest that you travel there in daylight; it is VERY small, and very easy to miss.

I live in Olympia-if you come out my way, drop me a line, I'll try to squire you around to the dog-relevant stuff. I'm a recent transplant, here less than a year. It is true I have found it tough to make friends.

So, do you pronounce your handle "Ar-tee-poke-ee"?

Willow

My hubby is not completely certain of the Draffin origin, but Draffin researchers believe to have traced him to Ireland. One of those good Scottish lads must have had a bit of wunderlust before the rest headed to the States This is important however, because we can only trace to the shores of Ireland and not farther. Thanks.

I'm actually a Torpey cf. Tarpey cf. - O'Tarpeigh of the barefoot potato poor Sligo Free Staters.