BC Boards

Need some guidance

ABCR is bursting at the seams. A notice of two new dogs needing foster homes just came to my inbox this morning and it seems that I get 2-3 a week. I made a commitment that Cerb would be at least one year old before we took in a foster but I'm starting to really feel bad about not taking in one of the pups needing a home.

How old should he be?

Cerb is ~11 months old and is a real gem. He's just one sweet, happy, well mannered and (I think) well trained guy. He gets along very well with other dogs and is relatively submissive. He's also shown very little jealousy when I've paid attention to other dogs.

I really want to help but I still worry that a new dog in the pack could change him….

Well, imho, I don't think he is too young meaning that he will be scarred from the experience. You may have a lot of fun having a very young dog and a untrained foster at the same time.

I think its probably worth fostering one dog and seeing how it goes. Every time I bring a dog home it is so much work, I always question my sanity but as I send them on to their new home I am always so glad I did it. I learn so much from every dog I cross paths with.

Of course I am slightly biased given you are debating fostering for ABCR... but I don't think that 11 months is too young. Sita will be 18 months in November and she is better with fosters than my other two. (But that is also Sita's easy going personality) Plus, we wouldn't stick you with a really tough dog as your first. :rolleyes: We can shuffle things up if need be. That's how I wound up with my foster Nimh.

Are you going to make it up to Rescue Round Up by any chance? You could talk to the boss ladies in person and see what they suggest. You could also bring Cerb and see what they think.

I can't believe how many dogs we've been taking in. It is mind boggling. Whatever you decide to do, thank you for even considering helping!

Of course I am slightly biased given you are debating fostering for ABCR... but I don't think that 11 months is too young. Sita will be 18 months in November and she is better with fosters than my other two. (But that is also Sita's easy going personality) Plus, we wouldn't stick you with a really tough dog as your first. :rolleyes: We can shuffle things up if need be. That's how I wound up with my foster Nimh.

Are you going to make it up to Rescue Round Up by any chance? You could talk to the boss ladies in person and see what they suggest. You could also bring Cerb and see what they think.

I can't believe how many dogs we've been taking in. It is mind boggling. Whatever you decide to do, thank you for even considering helping!

I was thinking R/R would be a great place to discuss this. My wife, daughter and I will bring Cerb up Saturday morning.

See everyone then.

Well, it looks like Cerb is going to get a foster sib sometime this week. Probably one of the 8 month old girls ABCR took in this weekend. I think you can imagine the range of what I'm feeling now.

Mojo please.

That's great news! Thank you for taking the plunge!!

I pick Sadie up this PM. I mentioned during lunch that I needed a crate for a foster pup and I got 2 offers and 5 or 6 attaboys. Sometimes people are so cool.

Archived