BC Boards

ID Tags

Happens all the time. People find loose dog, assume idiot owners, keep said dog.

Yes it does. Part of the reason for the "Loose dog!" hysteria that some people find so incomprehensible at dog shows.

An additional worry is, "Wow! This is a really expensive looking dog. Let's keep it!" (Which is often said about anything that looks purebred.) Not to mention the creeps that collect dogs for sale to labs.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Name

Cell phone

House phone

City

REWARD!

Although I really really like the "I should not be out, please call my mom." Makes me want to buy new tags.

Jeez just what I need, more dog stuff!

I get our tags from online and they are the military "dog tags" they can fit a lot of info and they're pretty tough. Between my 3 mouthy huskies (and Seamus of course) they've lasted very long. http://www.pet-tags-online.com/

I hope that having tattoos in a conspicuous place (and one not easily removed) on my dogs would help prevent this sort of thing, at least if the lab is reputable.

J

Here's a story on a blog you might find interesting.

http://michigananimals.blogspot.com/2008/1...laboratory.html

Also, one site I visited today researching the likelihood of chipped/ tattooed dogs being sold to research labs turned up this tidbit.

“Many dog enthusiasts, no-kill shelters, rescue groups, etc. will not put up fliers, call shelters, make reports, etc. when they find a lost dog, especially if the dog could be mistaken for abused or neglected (like if he were filthy and scared). They wait to see fliers. They do this because they don't want to return a dog to an owner who doesn't care. In their minds, if the dog were loved, they'd see fliers. This is just one reason why your fliers have to be everywhere. Calls won't work. You have to deliver posters to every vet, kennel, shelter, pet store, rescue, etc. within 20 miles, and notify all of them within 50 miles. Get them in the windows of convenience stores, grocers, etc. If they won't allow it, post them on the power poles outside. If that's illegal (I do it anyway) then buy a bunch of tomato stakes and jam then in the ground like political posters on election day. Keep a list of every place you put a poster so you can clean them up when AR is found.”

on a page entitled “If Your Dog Is Ever Lost or Stolen"

Another thing I've noticed is that the average person looks at a shy, fearful or reactive dog and immediately thinks "abused."

I think if someone finds a dog and is absolutely determined not to do anything about it (i.e., keep it) then the owner is just plain out of luck. One does what one can to try to keep pets safe, and pretty much the rest is up to the kindness of other folks. I could keep myself awake at night worrying about all the possible bad things that could happen. Instead I microchip, tattoo, and make sure they have collars on. Should one get lost, I'd follow all the recommended steps from trying to get the dog back. That's the best anyone can do....

J

Here's a story on a blog you might find interesting.

http://michigananimals.blogspot.com/2008/1...laboratory.html

Also, one site I visited today researching the likelihood of chipped/ tattooed dogs being sold to research labs turned up this tidbit.

“Many dog enthusiasts, no-kill shelters, rescue groups, etc. will not put up fliers, call shelters, make reports, etc. when they find a lost dog, especially if the dog could be mistaken for abused or neglected (like if he were filthy and scared). They wait to see fliers. They do this because they don't want to return a dog to an owner who doesn't care. In their minds, if the dog were loved, they'd see fliers. This is just one reason why your fliers have to be everywhere. Calls won't work. You have to deliver posters to every vet, kennel, shelter, pet store, rescue, etc. within 20 miles, and notify all of them within 50 miles. Get them in the windows of convenience stores, grocers, etc. If they won't allow it, post them on the power poles outside. If that's illegal (I do it anyway) then buy a bunch of tomato stakes and jam then in the ground like political posters on election day. Keep a list of every place you put a poster so you can clean them up when AR is found.”

on a page entitled “If Your Dog Is Ever Lost or Stolen"

Another thing I've noticed is that the average person looks at a shy, fearful or reactive dog and immediately thinks "abused."

Mick is unlikely to approach strangers. He's not shy, fearful, or reactive to me. He's just aloof. Sinead runs up to everyone wiggling and showing her teeth in a stupid grin. It freaks people out, but she's just smiling.

And judging by the standards of "bait dog" that I've seen on my pit bull forum, he'd probably fit that category...filed down teeth (he likes to chew on rocks) and some scars on his face (he's been in a few scraps).

My dog is chipped, has a boomerang tag with her name, my name, my address, my phone number. (I don't have a cell) I can see the POV of not putting the dog's name on, but on the other hand, as Sugarfoot is on the shy side, it might help her come in close enough to allow someone to get hold of her collar if she was lost. Pretty much everyone around here knows her anyway - even some who don't know me - she's met lots of folk out with my dog walker.

I would like to get her tattooed on the thigh, but with the advent of the microchip there seem to be fewer and fewer tattoo clinics. I always heard the thing to put on them was your driver's license number.

I don't worry much about her getting lost. She sticks to me like glue, and the same with Chris, my dog walker. I'm nearly always home, and she has zero interest in going out without me or Chris.

Besides, I sacrifice an ewe lamb to her personal guardian angel every full moon, so he's not about to let anything happen to her. kidding, kidding... :rolleyes:

Thanks for all the great ideas!!!!

I really like the "I am lost, please call my mom" ideas!

I noticed most of you seem to use the buckle collars as opposed to the adjustable plastic clip collars. Any reason for this? Also, can anyone tell me the purpose of a center ring collar?

Thanks,

Rob

Rob,

I have found the plastic buckle clips to be too easily broken.

The center ring collar is supposed to spin if it gets caught on anything (thereby freeing the dog), which is why, I presume, it's sold for hunting dogs. Also because the ring is opposite the buckle, it always stays on top of the dog's neck, making it very easy to snap on a leash with just one hand.

J.

Liz P and Julie, I have both of those collars and have been using them for about 2 months. I have 1" collars. The Mendota collars are heavy, the K9 Komfort is lighter and both are great with water. My dogs obviously are not working dogs but are wet and muddy most days and the collars are holding up well, I don't notice them really as they are not sticky, damp or smelly.

Don't know how they are going to hold up over the long term, but so far so good.

Alligande,

Some of my dogs have been wearing theirs (the older versions with just the thinner vinyl over the nylon collar) for *years.* The vinyl on Willow's is beginning to crack in places (where rivets are), but she's had it for at least 8 years. So the longevity seems to be good.

J.

Archived