BC Boards

ID Tags

I don't like jangling tags, either, but now I have a dilemma because I'd like to attach the rabies tag with the ID tag. The reason is the last two loose dogs I've encountered did have owner info on an ID tag, but I could not reach the owner (and in one case I just drove the dog to the address, but no one home & no way to contain the dog). However the rabies tag said what clinic issued it, so I was able to get the dog back to the owner via their veterinarian. So now I can't help thinking of the rabies tag as back up, yet 2 tags are so noisy.

I ordered one of those Urban Hound ID tag pouches, but it is so humongous it looks like he's wearing a purse around his neck! I think the Tag Silencer Pouch may be smaller. Does anyone use one like that or have another idea?

B.

You can either get a Boomerang or similar ID tag, so the rabies tag has nothing to clang against, or you can use fasten the ID and rabies tags together with a rubber band.

I use the metal tags riveted to their leather collars. They get wet often and they don't stink, but they are wearing out faster than if they didn't get wet. Taz doesn't get his collar wet in a stock tank (he pretty much refuses to lie all the way down), but I do exchange their everyday leather collars for cotton/vinyl collars that also hold traditional ID tags and required open space green tags when we go to the lake or river for the dogs to swim. So they have two sets of collars. The info on their collars are their name, my name, and my cell.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My boys have Boomerang tags, but I can't say they do much good when A) The dogs aren't wearing collars or :rolleyes: Happens to be wearing a collar other than what the tag is attached to. For those reasons, I've been lax about ordering a tag for Secret. I don't even bother to attach the license & rabies tags to a collar, they are just sitting in a drawer.

The tags I do have list the dog's name, my cell and my dad's cell. Luke's tag should get updated to read, "I have Addison's Disease," but again, it's not like he ever wears his collar, anyhow -- Just when we go to agility trials. And really, of my three dogs, he is the one least likely to ever leave my side for any reason.

Nobody could get close enough to Kaiser to read his tag.

I just ordered new tags myself. All three were the same:

Loose = Lost

Owner 555-123-4567

Vet 555-098-7654

City, State

Microchipped

LOVE that idea! It' like screaming, "I don't allow my dog to roam. I am looking for him!"

Whisper's tag has her name, her address and my cell phone number (no land line, else I'd have that on there, too). One time, when I was living downstate, DH let Whisper out and didn't watch her. It was much more urban than it is here, and she found her way out to a very budy road. I was at work, and hour's drive away when my cell phone rang and a woman asked "Do you have a dog named Whisper?". My heart just stopped for a moment and then started beating again as she explained where she had picked her up (as it happend, right at the end of the driveway). She brought Whisper to the house, all the awhile talking to me on the cell and DH met her on the porch. I was very thankful to this woman (and whoever she is, wherever she is, I still wish her well), and very angry with DH for not watching Whisper.

I continue to have Whisper's name on the tag, though the arguement against it is sound. My thought is, as freaky as she can get in new situations, some one will more easily reach her is they use her name.

I have Buster's name and my husband's and my cell phone numbers. This came in very handy last week when I was at work and got a call from a woman who had Buster on her porch, after he climbed out of his kennel. She was worried that he had come a long way, but she was just a few houses down the street. He made himself at home while waiting to be picked up.

Explanations for a few of my tag inclusions:

The Loose = Lost idea came from another dog board I'm on. The dogs have collars with their name and my cell # embroidered on for hiking off lead, so literally the only time they are wearing these tags and would be off lead is when something is wrong and they need to be brought back to me ASAP.

This is the first time I haven't included names on the tags and that's mostly because 1. I didn't have room and 2. I have enough dogs that it's nice to have extra tags that can work for anyone if a tag is lost.

I also added the vet's number for the first time - I don't have a home or work number, just my cell, and I figured it would be nice to have the vet's number obvious in case the dog was found injured or I couldn't be reached.

City, State only; I want the general location because I travel a fair amount, but I don't include the street because I don't want anyone coming to my house unannounced.

Microchipped is added this time because the microchip tags keep getting lost *and* I want people to know that my dogs have permanent ID, so I can ID them easily if stolen.

I don't like jangling tags, either, but now I have a dilemma because I'd like to attach the rabies tag with the ID tag. The reason is the last two loose dogs I've encountered did have owner info on an ID tag, but I could not reach the owner (and in one case I just drove the dog to the address, but no one home & no way to contain the dog). However the rabies tag said what clinic issued it, so I was able to get the dog back to the owner via their veterinarian. So now I can't help thinking of the rabies tag as back up, yet 2 tags are so noisy.

I ordered one of those Urban Hound ID tag pouches, but it is so humongous it looks like he's wearing a purse around his neck! I think the Tag Silencer Pouch may be smaller. Does anyone use one like that or have another idea?

B.

If I have to use a hanging tag for some reason, I go to the key shop an get those little plastic circles that go around the "handle" of the key. It keeps the tag quiet and avoids friction that wears away the stamped characters. They come in a variety of colors and cost about a quarter.

If I have to use a hanging tag for some reason, I go to the key shop an get those little plastic circles that go around the "handle" of the key. It keeps the tag quiet and avoids friction that wears away the stamped characters. They come in a variety of colors and cost about a quarter.

Great idea. And much more attractive and longer lasting than the tape I have on at the moment... :rolleyes:

B.

I use collars from gundogsupply--the K9 Komfort collar is the one I get (it's a rubber?-coated nylon collar that is soft to the touch--as opposed to the vinyl-coated nylon collars). I got tired of the leather collars wearing out from being wet all the time, even though I oiled regularly.

The riveted nameplate says:

REWARD -- MICROCHIPPED

My name

My cell #

An alternate cell #

I don't see how anyone would confuse the "reward" and "microchipped" on the same line. And yes, I would provide a reward. I generally have an amount in mind anyway, so no bargaining necessary. The one time I lost a dog and offered the reward to the person who saw her and called me, he refused the reward, so I went out and bought him a really nice gift basket....

Oh, and although my dogs all have individual collars there's always the possibility that a collar could be switched so I keep it simple without specific identifying info (dog's name or microchip number).

For dogs who happen to have "non-standard" collars, I would use boomerang tags. In fact, I need to order some, since Phoebe lost her collar somewhere and now I have an untagged collar on her.

J.

Mine say:

I should not be out,

Please call my mom.

home #

cel #

Reward!

I read somewhere that people are more likely to return dogs if you can 'humanize' them, hence the "mom" on the tag.

The "I should not be out" is there to try to tell people that this is an accident and that I'm not a bad owner. I'm a member of a chihuahua forum and those people are all about keeping dogs that are found out and about. One person even thought about keeping a dog that had an owner actively looking for the dog just because she was 'irresponsible' enough to lose her dog. That scares me.

I don't put the name because I don't want the person to get too comfortable with my dog.

Thanks, all, for your replies on my question re: dog's name on the tags. It makes me think a bit about my next set of tags. I do worry about my wee Gael, as she's such a spook and hearing her name might help someone catch her and return her, if she were lost.

But ... it does make me think that it'd be easier for someone to steal them, although neither she nor Nick get warm and fuzzy with strangers.

Nice thing about tags, I can always get new ones if I decide I don't like the ones I've got. :rolleyes: Thanks for the food for thought, y'all!

Cheers ~

Gloria

Liz,

I mistyped, it is Gundog Supply that I use. The collar is the K-9 Komfort TufFlex collar, which is supposed to have the "look, feel, and comfort of leather; cleans up in seconds; waterproof; resists mildew and bacteria; remains soft and flexible to -20F; no odor."

The link is for the 3/4" collar (I prefer a narrower collar), but it comes in 1" as well: 1" center ring collar.

That website can be hard to navigate sometimes. When I was first looking for these collars, I couldn't find them to save myself. I finally had to ask the person whose dogs I had seen them on to send me the direct link to the actual collars. I like all the nice colors they come in as well.

J.

Currently, my dogs have tags from Petsmart that have a space on the front for their name and room for four lines on the back.

The back says...

My mom's name is

Jackie

Her phone # is

(phone number)

Mick wears a 1" leather center ring collar from gun dog supply but he lost the name plate recently. I like the boomerang tags, but didn't feel like ordering anything online, and they won't fit Sinead's collar, since she wears a 2" collar from Stillwater.

Mick wears the ID tag and his license...Sinead wears her ID tag, microchip tag & rabies tag...since I never did manage to get her successfully licensed. Of course, I moved so that's a moot point. I'll get them licensed here for next year, so I don't have to double up on her rabies shots.

Liz P and Julie, I have both of those collars and have been using them for about 2 months. I have 1" collars. The Mendota collars are heavy, the K9 Komfort is lighter and both are great with water. My dogs obviously are not working dogs but are wet and muddy most days and the collars are holding up well, I don't notice them really as they are not sticky, damp or smelly.

Don't know how they are going to hold up over the long term, but so far so good.

The "I should not be out" is there to try to tell people that this is an accident and that I'm not a bad owner. I'm a member of a chihuahua forum and those people are all about keeping dogs that are found out and about. One person even thought about keeping a dog that had an owner actively looking for the dog just because she was 'irresponsible' enough to lose her dog. That scares me.

Wow :rolleyes: that is scary.

This thread provoked me into ordering new tags, ours were a little worn and I wanted to add the extra words. I ordered red plastic ones that say "If I am Loose, I Am Lost. Please Help Me Get Home" on one side, then our name, phone numbers and street address and zip on the other side.

Archived