BC Boards

Mold on Jerkey

josey

i knew that animals in the wild eat rotten food, or so i thought. maybe it is only fresh kill but dogs get in the garbage cans, and i thought maybe it was safe. if mold didn't hurt a dog, then why not? if it does; then not.

What Smalahundur said. Some "molds" (fungi) are harmless, others produce pretty nasty toxins. Best to err on the side of caution. Just read what Wikipedia says about aflatoxins if you need convincing about the toxicity of compounds produced by fungi. (The causative "molds" in the case of aflatoxins are usually encountered on grains and nuts, but I wouldn't want to risk feeding moldy meat to humans or animals, either).

I think keeping home-made jerky in the freezer is probably the best bet. If you're not going to use all the preservatives that are in the commercial variety, then you may find it doesn't keep on the shelf as well.

[edited to fix typo]

What Smalahundur said. Some "molds" (fungi) are harmless, others produce pretty nasty toxins. Best to err on the side of caution. I think keeping home-made jerky in the freezer is probably the best bet. If you're not going to use all the preservatives that are in the commercial variety, then you may find it doesn't keep on the shelf as well.

It never lasts long enough in my house to need a freezer. :rolleyes: A friend of mine has an amazing recipe for it. We usually go through the entire batch within 2 days.

I agree that I"d never feed moldy food to my dogs on purpose but I can also say they are little trash mongers and if given half a chance will eat what they can find. I know they've eated moldy bread as I found the wrapper but again, I'd never feed it to them on purpose.

I love homemade jerky!

this is good to know. i am glad that i never fed it to her. i really like the idea of putting it in the freezer after drying. if i could think of a good way to freeze it raw i will. seems like too many baggies would be needed.

If you want to freeze it raw, put wax paper on cookie sheets and lay the strips on that, freeze, and then bag when frozen solid so the strips won't stick together.

We always froze our home-made jerky, and just kept out enough for a few days at a time. Ours did not usually last that long, either! It kept well at room temp, though.

Archived