BC Boards

Homemade Jerky

Jimmyd65

With the amount of recalls these days we want to provide our two BC's homemade beef jerky. We recently bought a dehydrator. I have many recipes for humans but would like to see if anybody out there has a good recipe for the pups. I was just thinking lean meat and liquid smoke. Would love to hear any suggestions.

Thanks

Not an expert on preserving meat, but is the "Liquid Smoke" part really necessary? I guess it plays a role as a preservative, but I wouldn't think the dogs would necessarily be drawn to its flavor. The Wikipedia article on Liquid Smoke (not that Wikipedia should be viewed as the source of all truth!) raises what might be perceived as something of a red flag (possibly minor?) with respect to its safety. (Of course, poorly-preserved meat is also unsafe).

I cook thinly sliced meat and then place it in the dehydrator for several hours. Sometimes, I'll sprinkle garlic on the meat, sometimes not. I don't use any preservatives or salt. I store the dried meat in the freezer. However, the meat seems OK, if it's left lying around in the house (or in my pocket) for 1-2 days.

Hi, if you read my moldy jerky post on another tread, you will see that it is hard to preserve jerky without soy, etc. most of my expensive meat was tossed out. i froze it like suggested, and it is great that way. i may even try to just freeze it raw between wax paper. i used to just give her our homemade jerky but was told that salt was bad for a dog.

she likes it anyway i give it to her. somehow she likes carrying away a dried piece of beer and going away to chew on it.

I do dry meat similar to blackdawg

For people, but dogs could eat it to.

I place it thinly sliced on a pan in the oven.

Oven has to be at 160 degrees and I do that by leaving the door cracked.

Keep turning it till its crackly dry.

It can then be ussed as dry meat in stews or eaten plain, keeps for a very long time. But it must be sliced thin and dried throughly.

Jerky is the leg meat. You have to jerk it off with your teeth to eat it.

Dry meat is the good cuts of meat.

You can do this salted to if you wish.

Archived