BC Boards

Border Collie Collapse Question

Stephanieno

I am new to this group, and have a question regarding Border Collie Collapse. I have a 16 month old Border Collie called Kenzie. She collapsed on me a couple of weeks ago. My vet believes she has Border Collie Collapse. Once I e-mailed the breeder I found out that a litter mate of her father has it (she went for testing), the great-grandfather and 2 other dogs in the line are suspected of having it.

Often when discussing Kenzie with people more knowledgeable than me the subject of Malignant Hyperthermia comes up, is this another name for BCC? Or are they two totally different conditions? And if so what are the differences?

Thanks,

Steph

I am new to this group, and have a question regarding Border Collie Collapse. I have a 16 month old Border Collie called Kenzie. She collapsed on me a couple of weeks ago. My vet believes she has Border Collie Collapse. Once I e-mailed the breeder I found out that a litter mate of her father has it (she went for testing), the great-grandfather and 2 other dogs in the line are suspected of having it.

Often when discussing Kenzie with people more knowledgeable than me the subject of Malignant Hyperthermia comes up, is this another name for BCC? Or are they two totally different conditions? And if so what are the differences?

Thanks,

Steph

I just received an answer back from Dr. Taylor and they are not the same thing.

Thanks,

Steph

You mentioned a relative was tested positive...positive for what, exactly? Dr. Taylor hasn't concluded the study, so I don't think there is anything to test for. Yet.

You are right that the study has not been concluded, but my understanding is that from the testing that they did, I believe exercise, muscle biopsies etc. that the dog is strongly believed to have BCC.

Brad, I took this to mean the breeder was participating in the research study.

That is correct. I was asked to send Kenzie out because she is related, but have to admit to not wanting her to leave me. I sent her bloods down to the University of Minnesota.

Steph

You are right that the study has not been concluded, but my understanding is that from the testing that they did, I believe exercise, muscle biopsies etc. that the dog is strongly believed to have BCC.
Strictly speaking, until there is a clear set of physiological parameters to diagnose the syndrome BCC is just one name of many to describe a dog's reaction to exercise related stress that does not fit known diagnosable conditions.

Archived