BC Boards

Dog breaking steers

kelpiegirl

I have found myself in need to get my dog to well, not work the steers, but get respect from them. They "live" in the pasture I want to work sheep in, and the last time I tried to work the dogs with the steers there was a failure because the steers came running over, and it was a morass.

So, what I have been told, is 1) dog on line 2) "tool" in my hand to back up dog 3) allow steers to walk up to dog 4) have dog grip on the nose. All of this is done calmly.

Now, these are not calves, by any means. They are angus steers, who are pretty people tame, but don't know dogs. Lucy is game, and if she were at ALL hesitant I wouldn't try this.

But, I need suggestions from those who have done this.

Thanks

I'm cornfused? Are you trying to move the steers to work the sheep in the pasture? Or just dog break the steers?

Tea,

I think Julie just wants the steers to be used to dogs working in the field and to be willing to move out of the way of the dog. That is, the steers are sharing pasture with her sheep, so they need to move from the dog and not interfere with sheep work.

Julie,

I agree with everything but the line. Stay on the same side of the steers as your dog. Do let her grip noses if/when they come up to her. Be prepared to back her up. All you're trying to do is make sure the steers respect a dog, right? Once they're used to a dog in the field, they should be less likely to be overly curious and want to stick their noses in where they aren't wanted. But the critical thing is to make sure you can be right there to back your dog up if the steers want to fight.

J.

I would never work un dogged cows with a line, or dogged cows for that matter. A line is likely to get you and/or the dog hurt.

The rest of the plan sounds good. I would make sure the you don't let the dog heel the steers once they move. If the steers sull up the dog can heel, but pushing too much on cows that are already moving often causes them to fight. If these are cattle that are familiar to people( not wild) they should move off fairly easily with the correct approach.

Take a big stick and don't be afraid to crack a nose hard if needed.

Good luck!

Lana

I have found myself in need to get my dog to well, not work the steers, but get respect from them. They "live" in the pasture I want to work sheep in, and the last time I tried to work the dogs with the steers there was a failure because the steers came running over, and it was a morass.

So, what I have been told, is 1) dog on line 2) "tool" in my hand to back up dog 3) allow steers to walk up to dog 4) have dog grip on the nose. All of this is done calmly.

Now, these are not calves, by any means. They are angus steers, who are pretty people tame, but don't know dogs. Lucy is game, and if she were at ALL hesitant I wouldn't try this.

But, I need suggestions from those who have done this.

Thanks

I certainly wouldn't "ALLOW" the steers to walk up to the dog. I would have the dog walk into the steers, take control and move them off. If they didn't turn and move off, I would encourage the dog to keep moving at them and take a face if needed. It is quite likely that these people broke steers will move off the dog if she uses her presence properly and convinces the steers that she is the boss and they need to move. Let her take them away where ever you would like them so they are out of the way( a good distance) or they will just keep bothering you while you are out in your training field. Once the dog has command of them, they won't bother you near as much. Remember, she has to win and you need to help her do this. She must have the courage to keep walking into the cattle and you need to encourage her to do this. You don't command courage. You bring it out by giving her lots of encouragement and "atta girls" when she uses it. It can be a chore working sheep in the same field that cattle occupy, but it can be done once your dog knows how to control the cattle. Be careful with the use of your "tool". It can sometimes turn a dog off if you go to wailing that stick around a lot. It's really a matter of confidence with both you and the dog to get the cattle going, especially, people broke cows. Range cows might be a different ball of wax. Bob

I see,

I have shared pasture with cows and calves and needed to move my sheep to another pasture, WITHOUT the Cows and calves. I used my Gun and got the cows moving away...far away then gathered my flock of sheep. But Gunny had worked cattle and is a tough little dog.

I would not do this yet with Sweep. As I want to start him on dog broke steers first in a good situation.

Thanks everyone, it's all very good advice. We didn't take this challenge on today, as I am not mentally ready for it, but we will probably work on this this week. I will do as Bob says and walk the dog into the steers. The line was just to have some more connection to my dog, but in retrospect, she may need to get away, if they buckle around.

Will keep you all posted.

Am I the only one who, when reading "dog breaking steers" gets a vision of a steer trampling all over a poor border collie?

It's more like-curious steers wander over to the dog to see what it is, dog nips it on the nose and the steer goes "ooomph!" and jumps back. The problem is that you will probably have to do it to each one.

Laura

Update:

We did it.... Maybe not like the pro's, but I think she made an impression.

I walked into the field with some trepidation. I did have Lucy on a line, a long one, because I was fearing that she would get a bit too much into it, and well, suffer the wrath of a cow kick. I wanted her to bite on the nose, and allow the animal to back up/turn, and not have her get kicked. Call me a weenie, but she's just a small thing, and I am not a cow dog person.

So, anyway, we walked up to the first cow, who lowered his head, and was just curious about the dog. Lucy stayed to the left/right of me, but was reticent about going ahead. I jazzed her up and she went forward. I told her "Good GIRL!" And then she started to get it. I gave her the command I use on sheep, and she ran up, barked and back again. It took a couple charges before she got the guts, and then she made contact. She didn't bite on the nose, rather basically the forehead. The white headed steer had a big puff of dirt come off his head, and then he backed up. The other two were met with, and they both turned, and one did a big cow kick, and if I had Lucy loose, I think he would have connected.

Later, before we left, I took her out to the pasture again, and this time she was pulling me to get to the steers. She knows the "game" now. She lunged at one, and they all took off running, stopped and looked back. She then wanted to go over to them in the worst way.

I am proud of her, not because this was done "right" but because she did it at all.

Update:

We did it.... Maybe not like the pro's, but I think she made an impression.

I walked into the field with some trepidation. I did have Lucy on a line, a long one, because I was fearing that she would get a bit too much into it, and well, suffer the wrath of a cow kick. I wanted her to bite on the nose, and allow the animal to back up/turn, and not have her get kicked. Call me a weenie, but she's just a small thing, and I am not a cow dog person.

So, anyway, we walked up to the first cow, who lowered his head, and was just curious about the dog. Lucy stayed to the left/right of me, but was reticent about going ahead. I jazzed her up and she went forward. I told her "Good GIRL!" And then she started to get it. I gave her the command I use on sheep, and she ran up, barked and back again. It took a couple charges before she got the guts, and then she made contact. She didn't bite on the nose, rather basically the forehead. The white headed steer had a big puff of dirt come off his head, and then he backed up. The other two were met with, and they both turned, and one did a big cow kick, and if I had Lucy loose, I think he would have connected.

Later, before we left, I took her out to the pasture again, and this time she was pulling me to get to the steers. She knows the "game" now. She lunged at one, and they all took off running, stopped and looked back. She then wanted to go over to them in the worst way.

I am proud of her, not because this was done "right" but because she did it at all.

Good girl Lucy. It's pretty nice when you see your dog have the courage to stand and deliver the necessities required to move cows now isn't it. Way to go. Keep up the good work.......Bob

Archived