BC Boards

Trial Question, Not Announcement

sea4th

I'll be in So. Cal (Riverside) the end of May for a week to 10 days. Can anyone give me heads up on trials around that time within driving distance (and I know "driving distance" in Calif. means something different from back east.)

Thank you.

Vicki

The North American Sheepdog Championship consists of three USBCHA one-day open trials (Thurs., Fri., and Sat.,) and a double lift, international shed, on Sunday for 15 finalists. There is a guaranteed minimum $10,200 purse plus trophies and ribbons. Everybody who makes the finals gets paid. There is also day-money paid at each trial through fifth place. It has aired on National Geographic television, and along with the event is a USBCHA cow dog trial on horseback, also with a finals, and a full Scottish festival with live entertainment and Scottish games. The event is put on by Drummond Ranch and its third year will commence on June 5-8, 2003 at Lebec, California (where the first two events took place). The judge this year is Alasdair MacRae. First year's winner was Candy Kennedy and Moss, Second year's winner was Alasdair MacRae and Bill. Best wishes, Janna

Sorry, I was a little too hurried when I wrote that note. I wasn't meaning to put down the trial -- just pointing out that it's not the actual North American sheepdog championship. That will be held in Sturgis, SD, for the next three years, and dogs must qualify to compete by placing well at trials over the course of the season.

The NASC in California is a large and regionally-important trial with a double lift finals (these are becoming more and more common, incidentally) and a large purse, but it is an open trial. One does not need to qualify to compete in the open rounds. The winner is not, in fact, the North American champion sheepdog.

I belive this is a poorly-named trial, but I understand it is very well run and worth attending to see some of the top handlers in the country run their dogs.

------------------

Bill Fosher

Surry, NH

[This message has been edited by Bill Fosher (edited 01-10-2003).]

Our trial is actually legally entitled the "North American Sheepdog Championship" NOT to be confused with the USBCHA/ABCA "National Finals." I don't agree with you that our trial is poorly named. Any trial that has top handler attendance and a minimum $10,000 purse and is well run should have a good name. We have good sponsors, good attendance, and are promoting the education of sheepdog trials to the general public -- we have spectators from all over the country. We also donate the proceeds of our trial to non-profit fundraisers -- first year went to S.H.E.E.P. for the farmers affected by foot and mouth disease; 2nd year proceeds went to SAR Search and Rescue dogs from the World Trade Center and Pentagon. We brought those dog and handler teams to our event and honored them in a tribute at our own out-of-pocket expense. The sheep at our trials are excellent fresh range ewes, and the trial is held in Lebec, California. Again, we are NOT to be confused with the USBCHA/ABCA "National Finals" which will be held in Sturgis. We offer qualifying rounds for the USBCHA National Finals during the first 3 days of our 4-day event. We run our trial in the same format that the Meeker Classic is run. Does that explain it? Best, Janna

Janna,

I'm sure it's a wonderful trial. I've never heard anything but good reports. I just think the name is a bit misleading. I'm not questioning whether you're legally entitled to it. You could call it in the Intergalactic Sheepdog Championship if you wanted to. I just don't think you should.

FWIW, I have the same issue with the "Southern Nationals" and any other trial that calls itself "National" or "Finals" or "Championship" unless the name is a true depiction of the trial.

I also didn't like the fact that trial that was held last fall in Bala, Wales, was called the "World Championship," when dogs from North America (and perhaps other continents, I don't know) were excluded.

And I don't like the fact that the Major League Baseball calls its North American championship series the "World Series."

But then, I'm a stickler for details.

There's a long list of things that I don't like, but I don't want to try to out do Andy Rooney, so I'll keep the rest of them under my hat.

I hope you have a wonderful trial. I just wish you'd call it something else.

------------------

Bill Fosher

Surry, NH

[This message has been edited by Bill Fosher (edited 01-13-2003).]