BC Boards

Foster and Rescue dog parents, I need your advice!

As some of you may know, we took Lucky in February. If you'd like a refresher, here's that thread. Recently we've deemed him ready to find his forever home. We have him listed on a NC and SC breed specific rescue site (in their courtesy listings) and haven't gotten many inquiries about him...none really, except one. We're not in a hurry to place him, we are more than happy to keep him with us until he finds the appropriate home.

But to the point at hand, like I just said, we've gotten the one inquiry. A seemingly nice guy named David is very interested in Lucky for his potential Disc Dog capabilities (and companionship). I think Lucky would be a great disc dog with the right training. This guy is active in rescue (check out his website), is very active and involved with his dogs, and just generally seems like a good place. The problem is, and you'll notice this if you go to his website, he's in California. The exact opposite of the country from us. We were hoping to find Lucky's forever home in NC or the adjoining states...California wasn't even a speck of thought in our minds. Apparently he has a friend in the area that is willing to meet Lucky and evaluate his disc dog potential (she's already contacted me) and I'm sure I could find someone on the boards, or through my friends network in his area that could evaluate him for me. But if everyone checks out...do I really want to ship Lucky? Send him across the country, too far away for me to snatch him back if things to awry?

What do you think? Does anyone know this guy? Familiar with him rescue and competitions?

I'm new at this! Any advice or thoughts or stories are welcome. Thanks!!

As some of you may know, we took Lucky in February. If you'd like a refresher, here's that thread. Recently we've deemed him ready to find his forever home. We have him listed on a NC and SC breed specific rescue site (in their courtesy listings) and haven't gotten many inquiries about him...none really, except one. We're not in a hurry to place him, we are more than happy to keep him with us until he finds the appropriate home.

But to the point at hand, like I just said, we've gotten the one inquiry. A seemingly nice guy named David is very interested in Lucky for his potential Disc Dog capabilities (and companionship). I think Lucky would be a great disc dog with the right training. This guy is active in rescue (check out his website), is very active and involved with his dogs, and just generally seems like a good place. The problem is, and you'll notice this if you go to his website, he's in California. The exact opposite of the country from us. We were hoping to find Lucky's forever home in NC or the adjoining states...California wasn't even a speck of thought in our minds. Apparently he has a friend in the area that is willing to meet Lucky and evaluate his disc dog potential (she's already contacted me) and I'm sure I could find someone on the boards, or through my friends network in his area that could evaluate him for me. But if everyone checks out...do I really want to ship Lucky? Send him across the country, too far away for me to snatch him back if things to awry?

What do you think? Does anyone know this guy? Familiar with him rescue and competitions?

I'm new at this! Any advice or thoughts or stories are welcome. Thanks!!

David is a friend of mine on facebook. I know he recently tragically lost one of his dogs, and has been absolutely heartbroken. I've never met him but his posts and photos make me assume he's quite caring and takes excellent care of his dogs. He has a photo album with ALOT of dogs that he has apparently fostered and rehomed successfully. I would absolutely if I were in your shoes give this guy the opportunity to check out Lucky.

Best of "luck" :rolleyes:

My opinion is that if you don't personally know this person, I would not adopt to anyone that was out of my range of driving to pick the dog back up. No matter how much an initial meet might be, and however much the person seems to think the dog is perfect, there is always that chance that things won't work out. Could be just a matter of personalities not meshing, could be the other dogs/rescued dog don't get along. It's starting to get quite warm and flying would not be good unless you can do an overnight when it's cooler. At the very least, I would ask for a contingency plan. If the dog does not work out, what plans does the feller have for the dog?

If you are not in a hurry, I would give it a little more time. Closer is better, a forever home is best. Go with your gut. Ask questions. Do what is best for the dog, always.

Rescue Crystal Ball says that he'll evaluate the dog for disc and then if Lucky is not suited to what he wants he'll rehome him through his own rescue and tell you after the fact.

I don't adopt dogs sight unseen to people except in very rare circumstances. I am even less likely to adopt a dog sight unseen to someone who runs their OWN rescue, especially when they run a rescue in a state teeming with unwanted herding dogs in shelters and other rescues. It seems to me this gentleman could find a dog to suit his needs locally, and if he's not willing to come to NC to evaluate the dog himself, it's too much of a risk. But that's just me - you have to do what feels right for you.

RDM

^^Ditto, RDM.

Of the two rescues I've worked with (and Mary can speak for herself), neither will adopt out of the state (much less clear across the country!), unless there is something that keeps the dog from finding a suitable home locally. In your shoes, I would not be comfortable adopting that far away.

Good luck! Sometimes it just takes a while for the right home to come along. I'm sure it's out there for Lucky.

If I were in your shoes, I would wait. I don't know if it's because it's spring or the economy or what but Border Collies in need are popping up everywhere in NC right now. With that said, it might take longer than you thought it would to find Lucky a local home but if you take your time, I'm sure there's one out there for him.

Our original gut reaction when we learned he was in California was "not a chance." We're thinking we're going to have to follow that first reaction. While it's great to know that someone on here is familiar with him and that he is indeed a fantastic dog owner, I agree with what everyone has said about adopting out of state. And good point about there being other rescues in the area, why would he look all the way in NC for a pup when there are quite likely so many in he states between us. Thanks for the advice everyone.

Archived