BC Boards

tail like a rope - knocks it against the wall- bloody

Cody & Duchess

New dog- Grace- maybe pointer mix??= has a tail like a rope. In the shelter she kept on making it bleed by hitting it against the kennel wall when she wagged her tail. I did not bandage it when I brought her home - and it started bleeding again last night with blood being showered all over with each happy wag of her tail. Now we have a bandage on it - it is staying on and seems to work. Will her tail ultimately heal - or am I looking at a lifetime of bandaging it. It there anything else I can do? Thanks

From my experience it depends on how bad it is... a few friends have had to dock their dogs tails because they tried everything and they were not healing after months and months. Have you taken her to the vet? What is their recommendation? Congrats on your new dog :rolleyes:

Docking may me your answer ,but I dont want to even go there right now.

Try a plastic tubing , open on both ends for air . Wrap the injury as you would do normally , then put the tube over the tail , and wrapp some more. Using vet wrap is best because it adheres to the plastic nicely. Now for getting a plastic tube , go to any hobby store or home depot or hardware store . You will be able to find something . The lighter the tubing the better .

Im not suggesting PVC , LOL , something like a paper towel roll , but thinner and clear if possible so you can see if there is any bleeding coming thru your wraps.

Hope this helps.

My pittyX did that (same thing, from the pound) and eventually it healed up enough that it doesn't split open anymore. But I spent 6 months with a house that looked like something off of CSI. I'm still finding blood smatters around the house from last year (my LR is red, so hard to see the spots :rolleyes: )

Guest echoica
Some said here once that that is a reason why some breeds were traditionally docked?

IMO, that's an excuse that SOME people use today to continue with traditions established for certain breed conformation standards. Honestly, I think it is complete crap in most cases. And unnecessary. And outlawed in some places in the world for being cruel.

That said...

In this case where is truly is an issue, I would say docking could be an appropriate answer if it persists and continues to be an ongoing challenge. But I would expect that after the tail completely heals it would take a lot more than a few knocks against a sharp edge to produce this kind of damage again...?

Archived