BC Boards

Annie Bit My son

I don't think putting a dog in her crate in a quiet part of the house when there is company that makes the dog uneasy should be portrayed as "unfair" or a punishment for the dog. Put her back there with something good to chew -- I would hope Bustopher would give Annie a BULLY STICK!! -- and maybe let the kids or other visitors that the dog is fond of take her for a short walk after dinner, or whatever. But dogs aren't like humans whose feelings get hurt if they aren't invited to a party! It's best to manage for safety of all concerned. Remember how high the risk is to a dog who bites.

First, there is NO WAY that Annie is going to be confined when the grandkids come over, whether my son is there or not. When his wife and kids come over, she ignores him, and has a ball with the kids. I am not going to deprive her of that enjoyment simply because my son used poor judgment. My son will just have to stay away from the dog.

Second, Annie is NEVER sent to her "den" as punishment. On the VERY rare occasion that I might reprimand her about something (she is such a good dog that there is almost never a need), she is on her own as far as finding cover, and usually heads for under the dining room table or for her rug behind DW's recliner; these are her "safe" spots, and she knows that once she reaches a "safe" spot, the episode is over. She stays in her "safe" spot until she is ready to come out and be forgiven; we don't force her one way or the other. When I say "den", she gets all excited, because she knows that there is a treat involved, and that I will turn on the TV to keep her entertained. (Educational programs only; I don't let her watch cartoons...) So if my son is coming over (by himself), her sojourn to the den will not stress her in the least. On the plus side, my son's solo visits are few and far between; and they'll probably be even less frequent in the future, as I'm probably not on his list of favorite people anyway after I let him have it for his poor judgment...

"But dogs aren't like humans whose feelings get hurt if they aren't invited to a party!"

Then why is Bess insulted and barks if I close the bathroom door to do my business????????

And why does Abby get upset when I take Jin somewhere (SD work).

Dogs have feelings and they do get hurt.

Bus, my answer to your problem is the same one I use on my son. Chew his ass out so badly there's nothing left except scar tissue for antagonizing Annie. Then tell him to stay away from Annie especially if he wants to avoid getting bit. My son came in one day and just dragged Abby off the couch instead of waiting for her to get off. She snapped at him and scored. His fault and he deserved it. Then I lit into him for treating Abby (whose 9yrs) that way. This is her house, not his.