BC Boards

Gulf Islands- Herding Instructors/Classes

We got the news this week that we will be spending 6-8 months on Salt Spring Island, British Columbia. My husband will be working with the Organic Golf course there and I will be working remotely and enjoying the amazing views!! I guess we will be driving for 5 days to get there...I would feel weird about shipping Shiloh on a plane and we need the car anyways. We will arrive in March and come back to Ontario in September (if we can drag ourselves away).

Shiloh is still a young guy, almost 9 months, but we would like to keep up with his weekly training. I googled for instructors- but I came up empty handed. I think we would be willing to come bi-weekly to Vancouver Island if we cant find what we need on Salt Spring.

Does anyone have a lead for us?

Well, lucky you. Salt Spring is so pretty.

I have been watching a number of folks here on the lower mainland, and have my preferences of who to work with, but I really don't feel qualified to recommend anyone. Here's a link for you. Rose McLeod should be able to help you find what you're looking for.

http://stockdog.bc.ca/index.php

I don't know anyone specifically, but the stock dog world here is very active. Diane Pagel might know more specifics.

If you ever take a break & come down the to the San Juans stateside, let me know. I'm on Lopez, and I have sheep (including some absurdly dog broke ones, although they'll be lambing here shortly).

Diane could probably suggest the right person for your level, as might Airbear (Kristi)...I believe she has probably trialed with all the local handlers.

also, Saltspring is kinda famous for it's lamb, and from what I know, where there's lamb, there's sheep :rolleyes: Very likely there are options on the island itself.

Thank you! We have another 6 weeks before we leave. I am sooooo excited. I have lived in Vancouver before and have friends in Sooke... but the Salt Spring seems like such a great adventure. It is such a beautiful place and Shiloh is going to be delighted.... so much better then downtown Toronto for a Border Collie! I hope we can tour around the other islands and down to the San Juans too!!