BC Boards

Scorpian Sting

sweet_ceana

Well Sita doesn't win the rocket scientist of the month contest. I saw her sniff our block wall, take off, and run away. Then she went back to the wall, creeped up to a black spot and did it again. That black spot was a scorpion. -sigh- I called the e-vet immedietly to find out what I need to look for. They told me to watch for obvious swelling or hives. If either of those happen I need to bring her in for treatment ASAP. Otherwise they said it was going to hurt her a lot, and she should be out of the woods within 2-3 hours. They said most reactions happen within 2-10 minutes, and we are past that point, but I don't think I have ever paid so close attention to her face! Poor pumpkin keeps rubbing her muzzle on everything and crying here and there.

They told me not to give her benadryl so as not to mask any symptoms. Any suggestions on things I can do to help? Would a compress help? If so hot or cold?

I don't know about black scorpions but brown wood scorpions don't cause near the reaction os other types.

I've been told it's like a bad wasp sting. Dew used to be afraid of dust bunnies at our old place in AR. I think it was cause she coudln't tell the difference between a DB and a scorpion.

I wouldn't think a hot compress would be good. It could spread the venom about. Maybe a cold compress? And if she's out of the danger time, why not a benadryl?

That is one of the things I truely don't miss about AR. Here in CO I might have to worry about bigger and badder predators but at least you can usually see and hear them coming. I'd rather face off with a snake than a spider...much less a scoripion. They reminded me of prehistoric bugs. shudder.....

Trantula's were bad in AR too, but they were big enough you could see them coming. shudder...again....

Poor Sita....hope she feels better quickly!

She is back to normal today. Later last night her snout got a little red where she was stung, and because she is so light colored it looks as though today she may have a little bruise. Poor girl crawled into bed with me, tucked herself in close and whimpered a bit until she fell asleep. I would like to say she learned something from this, but the doofus did go back a second time after being stung.

Poor thing! And you called her a doofus! :rolleyes: When we lived in Laredo, TX we had scorpions....I HATED them. Even had one in our bed, YUCK! Luckily, me, the kids or dogs never got stung. My husband, on the other hand, three times!! Poor guy. Now, the fire ants, we all were lucky enough to get bit by these little buggers. Lacee's lips would swell if she got bit on the lip. :D My husband is highly allergic to them and had to carry an eppy pen (sp?)....go figure.

When we lived in Laredo, TX we had scorpions....I HATED them. Even had one in our bed, YUCK! Luckily, me, the kids or dogs never got stung. My husband, on the other hand, three times!! Poor guy. Now, the fire ants, we all were lucky enough to get bit by these little buggers. Lacee's lips would swell if she got bit on the lip. My husband is highly allergic to them and had to carry an eppy pen (sp?)....go figure.

We have only seen a scorpion one other time, and it stung DH. It was a mission impossible little SOB. It dropped from the ceiling, landed on DH's arm, and then stung him. He swelled up instantly. I don't think I have ever heard him yell like that. I always look at the ceiling now. Who would have thought you could be ambushed in your own home so easily???

I think we have those fire ants. (or so I have been told) DH doesn't have an anaphalatic responce, but he sure swells when those little buggers bite him as well. I get bumps from bites and they itch and burn, but he looks crazy when they bite him. There are not a lot of bugs down here, but the ones that are here are wicked!

Poor Sita :D I hope she's feeling better. I found a little gold one in my sandles one morning when I was in AZ at the Cynosport games. I was a bit panicky about it because they say the smaller they are the more dangerous the sting. Frpom what I read up on them, it doesn't seem to bad for dogs unless they have some kind of system compromise to start with. Non the less, I'm glad I found it and not Lucia or Grady. Lucia is my exterminator and will make it her life mission to rid all bugs from the house. She will even hunt flies along windowsills on command :rolleyes:

This little guy is an AZ bark scorpion and here is the link to sting info on it http://vetmedicine.about.com/od/toxicology...rpionStings.htm

IMG_8836.jpg

We have only seen a scorpion one other time, and it stung DH. It was a mission impossible little SOB. It dropped from the ceiling, landed on DH's arm, and then stung him. He swelled up instantly. I don't think I have ever heard him yell like that. I always look at the ceiling now. Who would have thought you could be ambushed in your own home so easily???

I think we have those fire ants. (or so I have been told) DH doesn't have an anaphalatic responce, but he sure swells when those little buggers bite him as well. I get bumps from bites and they itch and burn, but he looks crazy when they bite him. There are not a lot of bugs down here, but the ones that are here are wicked!

LOL! I remember always looking everywhere in the house for those scorpions. I really did hate living there. The first time hubby got stung was the one that was in the bed. It woke me up by crawling on me, then stung him. I felt bad for him, but I couldn't stop thinking "ewww, it crawled on me!!!!" It really freaked me out. And you're right, not a lot of bugs, but the ones there are hurt. That goes for plant life also! I remember picking hundreds of thorns out of hubbies backside when backed into a cactus. :D

I was so glad to be out of there. :rolleyes: