BC Boards

Hello, my name's Matt. How are you all? My wife Sara and I have been looking into getting a border collie puppy, and I've been lurking at this board for a while and learning a lot. I'm really glad I found this place 'cause my wife and I were pretty confused about how to find a good puppy, and we might have ended up going to a bad breeder. So, thanks!

Welcome! Good luck finding the right pup or dog for you. Certainly check out the Read This First section - it gives some great philosophy behind what you'd want from a breeder of BCs.

Merry Meet, Matt.

And you might consider getting your Border Collie (or any other dog) from rescue; while breeders can always find a home for a dog, a rescue dog, like an abandoned child, desperately NEEDS a loving, safe home.

Yes, I can vouch for this. They seem to KNOW somehow when they've been rescued too. And they can be forever grateful. You can even get puppies from a rescue. Or you can get an adult rescue whose temperament is already formed and solid and well matched by a rescuer to your lifestyle.

I found this board after getting a hold of a bad breeder, I wish it had been the other way around. I have too been lurking around these boards for sometime learning more and more about bc's. My Jack is a little fellow 11 months and maybe 30 lbs on a 2 can day (he loves his food) I am worried about Jacks health he was 4 lbs when we got him the guy told us he was 7 weeks when we got Jacks papers he was 12 weeks old. I should have been leary when the breeder gave us this little dog to replace the one that we had that died of kidney and liver failure 7 weeks after we got him. We are having alot of issues with his health first got him took him to the vet he has a cocci worm, got that cleared up and couple months later noticed a spot on Jacks nose took him to the vet he has the mange. Jack gets sick easy and about two weeks ago he got sick had to take him to the doggie hospital and then the vet kept him for 3 more days after he left the doggie hospital (he had an a bad infection) have had him on antibiotics for 2 weeks now. Between the first puppy and this one in the last year we have spent over 5,000.00 in vet bills. This little guy has melted my hart every day and makes every thing worth it, as the 2 legged kids will tell you he is mommy's little man.

Welcome Matt! This is a great place with fabulous peoples, Border collies and all other makes of animals.

Searching for the right puppy/dog is soo exciting, confusing, exciting, confounding, exciting...well, you get my drift.

I also urge you to investigatge adoption as you search. That's how I found my Lewie as a nine week old pup, even though he is a mix (I don't know with what), but he is one of the best dogs I've ever been privileged of being "mom" to.

Good luck and keep us posted. We will, of course, expect pictures when you find your dog. :rolleyes:

Hey, thanks to everyone for the welcome and advice. We've talked about a rescue, but we are a bit afraid of health and behavioral problems that may go with it.

We're in Arizona, and we're willing to go statewide or maybe even southern California to find a good breeder. If anyone knows any bad or great breeders in these parts, the info would be greatly appreciated.