BC Boards

Puppy diet question

We have a new resident, a five month puppy who moved in yesterday. (I promise pictures to follow) I have only ever had adult dogs and I am clueless as to what he should be eating. We know that his prior home have been been feeding adult food, and have been told that he should be eating puppy food till he is a year old.

We feed Brody Canidae but they don't have a special puppy food just advice more food and often on the bag/website. I am happy to buy him another brand if needed.

Just looking for advice from experienced puppy raises. Thanks

I have fed my pups Canidae- even as wee ones. They did well.

We have a new resident, a five month puppy who moved in yesterday. (I promise pictures to follow) I have only ever had adult dogs and I am clueless as to what he should be eating. We know that his prior home have been been feeding adult food, and have been told that he should be eating puppy food till he is a year old.

We feed Brody Canidae but they don't have a special puppy food just advice more food and often on the bag/website. I am happy to buy him another brand if needed.

Just looking for advice from experienced puppy raises. Thanks

Annie had transitioned to adult food by the time she was 5 months; she was on Innova kibble mixed with Merrick moist (until she contracted an infection that required prescription foods). Canidae is also an excellent food; if the pup has been doing fine on Canidae, I would see no reason to change at this point.

Many of us feed our pups kibble that's labeled appropriate for all life stages. I generally put pups directly on whatever my adult dogs are eating, so you'd be fine putting your five-month-old on what you're feeding Brody. The point is to make sure that your pup doesn't grow too rapidly or get too roly poly on whatever you feed him--both situations are unhealthy for your pup (because it stresses growing joints). Check your pup's weight the same way you would Brody's--you should be able to easily feel his ribs. Try not to let him get a big old layer of fat there.

I usually start out feeding a pup around 3 cups of food a day (in three 1-cup feedings) and then adjust up or down as needed.

J.

A puppy?? Yay! You better hurry with those pictures.

Anyway, I think most of us here put our puppies on an adult food at an early age. Mine were on adult food by at least 4-5 months. Canidae is an "all life stages" food and is just fine for your puppy. I think the reason behind getting them off puppy food is for even, slow growth and weight gain.

Congrats on the new addition!

PS. I see all these great minds not only think alike, we post at exactly the same time. :rolleyes:

Congrats on the new pup! Also note that folks who recommend switching to (or weaning to) adult or all-life-stages are talking about feeding quality foods, not supermarket/feed store/bulk store brands.

Thanks for the advice, the rescues vet said to keep him on puppy food until 12 months, but that came with a bag of Iams puppy food. When we went to buy Canidae there was only what we already use, so I was wondering if it would be OK.

We won't be going to our own vet until his booster shots in a month so once again thanks for putting my mind at rest.

As other have said, there is *nothing* wrong with putting this pup on an adult formula at his age. Canidae is a good food; I wouldn't hesitate to use it.

I personally use Orijen now (grain-free) and Wellness Core (also grain-free). I used to use Canidae but when they changed the formula in summer 2008, my Great Dane kept getting hot spots when on it. She's had no trouble with grain-free kibbles. To keep things simple, I feed my BC's the grain-free kibble, too. They are doing great on it.

6 months would be the absolute outside age for feeding puppy food. I know many breeders of various working breeds who NEVER use puppy food at all. The danger is stimulating too much bone growth too fast, with the puppy food. I think your new pup would not only be fine, but perhaps better off, if you feed the Canidae right now. Congratulations, by the way, on your new family member, and thank you for adopting a rescue.

Kathy Robbins