BC Boards

barking

I have a 17 week old pure bred border collie, female and she will not stop barking. I live in an apt building, so I have to keep her quiet. I've tried the spraying water in her face thing, but that only stops her for 30 seconds and she's barking again. I've tried and tried with the water and she's still barking. Any suggestions?

We have two borders. One never says a word, and the other...lol...never shuts up. So I am curious as to what you all do about that. She mostly only does it when playing with the other or when someone she doesn't know enters our yard.

Before I was going to give advice I was waiting for an answer to Eileen's post. What does a day for her (the dog) look like? What does she do? More important, what do you do?

Without that info we can't say why the dog is barking, therefore, how to stop the barking.

Just wanted to point out why there are probably no replies here yet.

Thats a good point. We are home with ours all day. They are never alone more than maybe 3 hours a day, 2-3 times a week.

With everything I have read could it be from not giving it enough exercise?

Exercise, for all dogs, but particularly BC's...needs to be both physical and mental.

BC's are very much people driven....and tend to be "creative" (in human-speak, this means destructive) when it comes to alleviating their boredom if left alone (for more than 5 minutes :rolleyes: ).

As such, if your BC isn't getting the necessary attention, stimulation and exercise, it will turn to trashing the house/yard or "chatting' with other dogs in the neighbourhood.