BC Boards

Odd "Grooming" Behavior

Recently I've noticed Indy (our younger boy) sort of nibbling on Diocese's bottom jaw/lip. It is a little hard to describe exactly what he is doing, especially since I don't know what he is doing. He looks like he is taking tiny, super fast nibbles on D's face, and sometimes gets fur (or something) in his mouth. He also licks the same place. D doesn't seem to mind, he just lays down and looks relaxed. Occasionally he does look annoyed and growls, so Indy stops.

After noticing Indy doing this I checked the place on D's jaw that he was messing with, and there is a long scab. He must have gotten a scratch, though I'm surprised that I didn't notice even under black fur. Maybe Indy is picking off this scab? I don't have a clue why. More than anything the behavior reminds me of a chimp grooming another chimp.

Has anybody seen anything like this before? I don't know if I should be stopping him, to keep it from becoming a habit. If D doesn't mind it, should I? This is a new one for me. :rolleyes:

A few years ago, I noticed Buzz repeatedly sniffing at Shonie's cheek. Then she scratched off a big hunk of scab and pus. She had an infected hot spot there, and I'd either not noticed it or she hadn't scratched at it when I was around. It was nasty looking, and she needed antibiotics and cleaning of the area.

So, I'd suspect there is something going on in Diocese's mouth or even the skin where the scab is. Vet check time.

Hope it's nothing serious.

Ruth

I notice Dew doing the same thing to her front legs after a long hard play session out in the snow lately. I figure her leggs are bothering her from the cold.

That being said, Dew had a fasination with Jazz's rear end, always sniffing and a little licking. I finally figured out Jazz was leaking urine and had a low grade UTI. That's all cleared now up but Dew still always checks out Jazz's bum every time she comes in from pottying so I guess she's just checking.

I would think Indy might be doing that cause of the scratch you found on D. But one never really know do they?

I have heard of a lot of dogs doing this. Since they can smell so much better they can probably smell it even if we can't see it. I would have it checked though, just to be sure.

Well, as of today the scab was completely gone, just pretty pink skin with little hairs growing in. Hopefully it was nothing, as I haven't seen him doing it again. I will definitely get it checked out when we go to the vet for his shots next week though. Thanks all. :rolleyes: