BC Boards

Dirt eating

IPSY

Why the heck is my pup eating dirt ? I dont feel he's lacking any nutrients. But he seems to get fixated on the plants from time to time and even does it outside , he scratches at the grass until he gets to the dirt and then eats it , not much , but still gets a small amount of it. He doesnt do it all the time , so its not like its a obsession. My other collies never did this , so this is new to me. I'm wondering if it's just a "puppy thing" and he will out grow it. It's definatley not good him , as the grit will stay in his gut.

Any and all opinions will be very helpful. Thanks :rolleyes:

Are you sure he's not eating worms?

Why the heck is my pup eating dirt ? I dont feel he's lacking any nutrients. But he seems to get fixated on the plants from time to time and even does it outside , he scratches at the grass until he gets to the dirt and then eats it , not much , but still gets a small amount of it. He doesnt do it all the time , so its not like its a obsession. My other collies never did this , so this is new to me. I'm wondering if it's just a "puppy thing" and he will out grow it. It's definatley not good him , as the grit will stay in his gut.

Any and all opinions will be very helpful. Thanks :rolleyes:

Does the soil that you have the houseplants in have any fertilizer in it? The scent of a fertilizer might attract a puppy.

I have to watch Speedy when I fertilize my roses because he'll actually try to eat the soil after I've mixed in the fertilizer. The stuff I use is not toxic to dogs, but I still watch to make sure he doesn't get into it.

Outside, not sure, but inside that could be part of the reason.

Does the soil that you have the houseplants in have any fertilizer in it? The scent of a fertilizer might attract a puppy.

I have to watch Speedy when I fertilize my roses because he'll actually try to eat the soil after I've mixed in the fertilizer. The stuff I use is not toxic to dogs, but I still watch to make sure he doesn't get into it.

Outside, not sure, but inside that could be part of the reason.

I know the houseplants soil is safe for dogs , but I'm going to have to move it so he cant get to it. But I just dont understand what the facination is with the dirt outsite.

This little guy just baffles us and other times can simply amaze you...Border Collies ! :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...
I know the houseplants soil is safe for dogs , but I'm going to have to move it so he cant get to it. But I just dont understand what the facination is with the dirt outsite.

This little guy just baffles us and other times can simply amaze you...Border Collies ! :rolleyes:

Be sure that you are not using a manure based fertilizer, as the feces is usually what attracts the appetite of dirt/soil eating dogs. Experiment with foods; I'd start with a good grain free food but any food, even a cheap one can work if it is a fit for the dog. Generally better (not necessarily more expensive) foods work better than supplements or behavioral modification to cure the habit.

Shiloh was a big fan of plants and dirt as a pup. We have many houseplants and we were able to train him to not eat or dig in the dirt. We got rid of the small plants and only kept the trees. We told him no a few times and gave him other toys immediately- it seemed to help.

We have a mini palm tree that Shiloh loves.... it tickles his face as he walks by, one night I woke up to find that he took a branch off and arranged the 40 leaves, 1 by 1 across the living room floor in a perfect semi-circle. I woke up and walked over- he was just sitting down appreciating his work! "Look mom, Im an artist!" :rolleyes: It was too late to be upset about it- but the crate door was closed for a few weeks after that!

He used to also try to bite every plant we walked by out side and one time he went for a bouquet of flowers that a man was carrying in the elevator! :D

I think Yogi's fasination with the houseplants has subsided a bit , but it still holds his curiosity outside when he is not being a madman . :rolleyes:

I think Shiloh might have seen something on TV about crop circles , :D LOL....One of my BC would do that with his bones and toys. Really weird , if you ask me. :D Talk about head games , LOL...I think BC are the only ones that can actually play head games with their owners... :D