BC Boards

What sort of sheep.....

sea4th

None of those show any horns. The closest breed I saw was a 4-horn breed.

Vikki, did you take that photo? If so, where? If not, where did you get it?

No, Nancy, I didn't. A friend of mine who has briards sent me the photos. It looks like it might be somewhere in Scandinavia, or maybe France. Something about the background.... I don't know. She got it from a breed group she's on.

nancy,

How the heck did you know they were Racka? man. I did all my searches and couldn't find that. Sure looks like the right breed.

nancyC

When I need to find out about a rather obscure sheep breed, I go to Sheep101.info and check the Sheep Breeds A to Z page.

Regards,

nancy (S)

Sorry, Bill, but they do indeed look like real live Hungarian Racka sheep. I have seen photos before from someone out east who was trying to import semen for them. Probably because of their fleece as I remember. In fact I think she bought a Racka fleece at one of the fiber fests and was trying to find more.

These sheep reminded me of Markhor goats,

post-10533-1259646015_thumb.jpg

which led me to wonder if sheep and goats were cross-fertile. Apparently the short answer is no, but I found this which was sufficiently amusing to pass on…

Toast of Botswana - from Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

An unusual case of a sheep-goat hybrid was reported by veterinarians in Botswana in 2000. This was called the "Toast of Botswana". The animal was born naturally from the mating of a female goat with a male sheep that were kept together.

Because of their vast genetic differences (goats have 60 chromosomes, sheep have 54 chromosomes) and presumably them belonging to different genera (goats are genus Capra, sheep are genus Ovis), sheep-goat hybrids generally die as embryos. The hybrid had 57 chromosomes, intermediate between sheep (54) and goats (60). The hybrid was intermediate between the two parent species in type. It had a coarse outer coat, a woolly inner coat, long goat-like legs and a heavy sheep-like body.

Although infertile, the hybrid had a very active libido, mounting both ewes and does when they were not in heat. This earned the hybrid the name Bemya or rapist. He was castrated when he was 10 months old because he was becoming a nuisance.

(!)