BC Boards

Took My Two for a Sheep Eval...

Izzy (10 months) was excited and barked the whole time and was very grabby. She took quite a bit of wool off the sheep. She chased any of the three that weren't with the other two. Granted Izzy is a BC mix possibly a Jack Russell mix so her prey drive is high, but a bit too high. Lana our trainer said she wouldn't be a bad cattle dog, she's not afraid to stick her head in and quick to get out. The best line of the day was: "Hey, I need that wool!"

Tobey went into the pen and one of the sheep gave a quick stomp and he ran the other way :rolleyes: After he go acclimated to the pen he mostly tried to play with them and he barked a lot too. The trainer did have her other dog in the pen so they wouldn't stay on the fence the whole time, which they were trying to do. Oh, and at one point he stopped herding/playing and decided it was time to poop! :D He did the best of the two of them and could probably be a farm dog but it looks like trialing is out. I can't expect much out of a dog I rescued from an awful situation who was bought at a mall. Poor guy. I feel like it did help his confidence so we'll probably go back in a few weeks and see what he does. They're both exhausted right now and are sound asleep.

I will say one thing, it's awesome to see a place where the dogs can work and they love what theydo and are great at it.

Tim

Izzy (10 months) was excited and barked the whole time and was very grabby. She took quite a bit of wool off the sheep. She chased any of the three that weren't with the other two. Granted Izzy is a BC mix possibly a Jack Russell mix so her prey drive is high, but a bit too high. Lana our trainer said she wouldn't be a bad cattle dog, she's not afraid to stick her head in and quick to get out. The best line of the day was: "Hey, I need that wool!"

Tobey went into the pen and one of the sheep gave a quick stomp and he ran the other way :rolleyes: After he go acclimated to the pen he mostly tried to play with them and he barked a lot too. The trainer did have her other dog in the pen so they wouldn't stay on the fence the whole time, which they were trying to do. Oh, and at one point he stopped herding/playing and decided it was time to poop! :D He did the best of the two of them and could probably be a farm dog but it looks like trialing is out. I can't expect much out of a dog I rescued from an awful situation who was bought at a mall. Poor guy. I feel like it did help his confidence so we'll probably go back in a few weeks and see what he does. They're both exhausted right now and are sound asleep.

I will say one thing, it's awesome to see a place where the dogs can work and they love what theydo and are great at it.

Tim

It is a wonder to see them work isn't it? I've watched several different dogs train this summer and it is interesting to see the different personalities and approaches the trainer uses. One thing that stuck in my mind from both trainers I watched is that the sheep have to be used to dogs.

If this is the first time they've both seen sheep, then they learned a great deal today.

Brodie and Robin were born on a working farm and used to being around sheep, goats, chickens, and two black Angus beefers so they're not fearful of livestock and they've watched their Mom work stock. Once they got to be about five weeks old, the breeder had them out on a shady porch during the day and there was a constant parade of chickens going by and the goats, sheep and beefers nearby as well. Robin is a dedicated chicken chaser if he gets the chance....he just twitches all over when he sees a chicken :D. We would take the pups back to the breeder when I had my chemo treatments and she'd swap them around as she was doing her chores. She made the mistake of taking Robin to the barn without a leash when he was about three months old and he caused a stampede of goats, chickens, and sheep all in the melee....thankfully his mother, Daisy was there to put things back in order. When we took our obedience class, there was a huge grey Irish wolfhound in the class and Robin just stared at him, thinking goat????

Brodie on the other hand goes really quiet and still and his neck flattens out into the typical border collie crouch. He's the one that I'm going to try on sheep first. He's also much better already at lying down from a distance than is his brother. But at his first lesson, I'm sure he will be totally out of control with excitement.

I wouldn't make any judgements based on one contact with sheep. Izzy did completely normal stuff, to some young dogs- they are very excited, and want to control, and haven't learned to see the sheep for the trees, and grab. MANY many dogs start out this way. Where in MA are you? I know several folks you could go to.

Tobey- again, one exposure doesn't mean a lot, and the pooping in the training area, is not unusual- especially if you haven't emptied the dog. By playing and barking, he was just trying to figure out what these were about.

I would look into at least two more exposures on good training sheep, before you give up.

If it makes you feel any better, I'm in the boat with you. My young rescue just met sheep for the first time pretty recently, and he ran the other way. The shepherd actually brought a newborn lamb out to introduce to him since he was so intimidated by the big ones... he was scared of the baby too. Wouldn't even look at it. My poor little sport bred boy. I think he was more interested in watching my older boy herd than the sheep. :rolleyes:

I think it sounds like it went just fine for their first time! You can't tell a whole lot from the first time, anyway. If your trainer is willing, I'd definitely take them again and see how they do.

Now, how about you? Did you love it, are you hooked? :rolleyes:

I think it sounds like it went just fine for their first time! You can't tell a whole lot from the first time, anyway. If your trainer is willing, I'd definitely take them again and see how they do.

Now, how about you? Did you love it, are you hooked? :rolleyes:

She is very willing, at least with Tobey. I'm going try out another trainer, but I'm 100% hooked. I've been driving the fiance crazy talking about getting sheep and a camper to travel to trials. There isn't anything like a bond that is formed between and boy and his dog especially when that dog wants to work!

Tim

You just never know. :D My Violet was picked up by the police, roaming Kings Hwy in Myrtle Beach. I took her to a trial and got a trainer to take her in the round pen with some sheep, and she wouldn't even look at them. But about six months later, I went to the NC BC picnic, and juliepoudrier took her in the round pen with some of Becca's sheep, and she showed real promise. :D

We later started working with a local guy and his sheep and she did pretty well. Jack Knox himself told me Violet was a "fun little dog" to work on sheep - and that was even after she nipped him on the toe! :rolleyes:

So if you like it, I'd definitely try again.

Although, as far as the grabby young'un- it does help to have a good handle on the dog as far as having her listening to you with distractions present. Faith, a bitch I found under a pile of dead puppies at a kill shelter, started out very grabby and crazy and hard on her sheep. If she wasn't allowed to mangle sheep, then she'd pout and ignore them altogether. But you know, now that she's three I think she may finally be growing a brain. I haven't taken her back to sheep in a long time - cause I was working on putting a handle on her off sheep - but I'm starting to see some real changes in her in just the past few months. She may make a working dog yet.

Not that I know a whole lot about anything herding... I've had Chase in with the sheep a few times and I do know that the instructor didn't give up on him after one lesson. Even though he pooped in there, pee'd in there, rolled in sheep poo in there... ugh! (and yes, he was given a chance and did *empty* himself before he went in... always seemed to have more left while in there)

Chase is no sheepdog. My poor instructor gave him every possible chance she could but finally did end up telling me that she doesn't think we're going to get too far with Chase :rolleyes: I think I could see that too but it did burst my bubble because it's something I've been wanting to do for a long, long time.

(somehow I still think he has a little sheepdog in him....?)

I've had the aussie in with the sheep a few times also. She was very forward and liked to grip when she got the chance. The lady I took Chase to only does border collies and the instructor who does other breeds is about 1-1/2 hours away from me. It's not the type of herding I want to do anyway and Gypsy is 7 now so I just gave up :D

I only had a tiny taste of the herding and I still really, really want to do it! Someday...

Good luck!

It is a lot of fun. It sounds like they did pretty good for the first time. The most important thing is that all three of you had fun and learned something. My little rescued pupper did about the same thing his first time. But after the third lesson jack Knox actually offered to buy him from me. So even an abused, shy, neutered dog can herd. :rolleyes: