BC Boards

Question to those involved in rescue

My question is whether it is ever possible to ask a rescue organization to "hold" a dog for a period of time with, of course, the provision that we would pay all expenses for the dog's care until we are able to bring the dog home. I don't know if this is ever done, or if it would be rude of me to ask! Our circumstances are that our home is currently under construction as we are adding a 500 sq foot addition. There will be a period of time in the near future when we will have to basically live out of one room, so obviously bringing a new dog into the home before the work is done would not be feasible. Our yard is also torn up and full of construction debris at the moment. The work should be complete in about two to three months, at which time we will have a much-improved house and a decent sized dog-friendly back yard. Why the rush? Well, I am in love with the description and photos of a particular rescue dog and I just can't stop thinking about him! I haven't even met the dog yet, so I don't know whether he would be a good match, but I don't think I should ask to meet him unless there is the possibility that it could actually work out. This dog just seems perfect for us (on paper, at least). He is described as sweet & friendly and is not an alpha, which is good since our other dog has some alpha tendencies. We want a border collie or bc mix that is good with cats- we have two dog savvy cats- (check!), preferably male since our other (female) dog seems to prefer the boy dogs that we meet (check!), smooth coated since we have enough animal hair to deal with (check!), age around 7 months-2 years (check!) and -this one cuts out a lot of potential dogs- we want a dog that does not resemble the beloved dog that we recently lost at the ripe old age of 16 (check!). She was a black and white bc mix, and this seems to be the most common color pattern. I have seen dogs that look like her around town, and I still get a lump in my throat and sometimes even tears in my eyes...

Anyway, I emailed the foster family about Charlie, the rescue dog, and told them about our circumstances but did NOT ask if they could possibly hold onto him for us if we paid for his care. They were very nice and told me to keep in touch, but did say that it is unlikely that he would still be available in three months time. Would it be at all appropriate to ask if they would be willing to hold him for us for a few months? Am I crazy for even continuing to think about this particular dog? Maybe I should just wait until we are actually ready, and then start looking, but something about this dog is just calling to me. His profile is here: http://www.bcrescuenc.org/ click on available dogs and scroll down to "Charlie". Of course I am happy if he finds a good home, but I wonder if that home could be with us! I'm not sure whether the concerns in rescue are more of money or space, so I just wanted to ask those in the know what they thought about this. Thanks!

I guess you could ask, but I do know of several rescues specifically who will NOT hold a dog.

I know the feelings of excitement you describe... I was looking for a rescue dog about a year ago. My advice is to let it go -- concentrate on your remodel, and when you are ready, adopt a dog. If Charlie is no longer available, I am sure you will find one that is a great fit.

I actually tried (and had to return) 2 rescue dogs before I adopted Rip. He came to me in an offhand way after I stopped "looking." And he turned out to be the perfect fit.

Good luck!

I'm going to be blunt (what's new? welcome to the boards!)

Do you realize that while they hold him for you, that the other dogs that could be rescued in his "spot"will not be? That means in most cases that dogs will be left in bad situations, or worse. And Charlie will be in limbo as well - a dog without a real family of his own.

I agree you sound like a good home. I don't agree that your request is going to be fair. Not to Charlie, not to the Rescue, not to the dogs that need rescuing that are waiting for Charlie's foster home to open up.

IF Charlie is a meant to be dog for you he *will* be there when you're ready. Otherwise, life means for you and another dog to be a family.

I'm divided on this one. I think three months is a long time to hold a rescue dog.

There was a dog that I desperatley wanted before I got Tobey, this dog the rescue group said wasn't a match. He's still available for adoption, and I see his picture on the website all the time when I visit. I still feel a connection with this dog, even though we've never met.

I know that you really want this rescue dog, but there is another out there, and one that probably needs your love and attention more.

And you never know, Charlie maybe still available.

Tim

The rescue I am with will not hold dogs for people. You have to be available for a 2 week period prior to do all the initial visits, phone consults etc. and then immediately available to adopt the dog. ALL of our dogs come to us from rural areas and First Nations communities and some are in severe need of a home, let alone food and medical care. for each dog that we hold for someone, there is the possibility that one will die. Don't mean to put it that bluntly, but it's the truth. We always tell people that there are plenty more dogs out there and another one will come along. Especially when it comes to puppies. We currently have under 12 on our website, but we've got another 10 or so in holding areas because they are too young to be adopted. There is a never ending supply.

I wanted to address the falling in love with the picture and description. I did that before getting our last rescue. Thought this dog I read about would be perfect with our other dog and our family. Usually I can be stubborn- thank goodness I listened to the wisdom of the lady at the rescue organization. We got a dog totally different from what I wanted. He is big ( now 50#) leggy and didn't have the white face I wanted. He is perfect for us. I have said this before here - if you are getting your dog from an experienced rescue organization - the best service they can offer you is properly matching you with the dog of your dreams. Throw away the list of what you think you want - their insight into the personality and spirit of the dogs is amazing. Good luck on your search and remodeling. PS - it is wonderful that you are getting your dog from rescue - the need is so great and they so deserve a new chance at a good life.

I'm going to be blunt (what's new? welcome to the boards!)

Do you realize that while they hold him for you, that the other dogs that could be rescued in his "spot"will not be? That means in most cases that dogs will be left in bad situations, or worse. And Charlie will be in limbo as well - a dog without a real family of his own.

I agree you sound like a good home. I don't agree that your request is going to be fair. Not to Charlie, not to the Rescue, not to the dogs that need rescuing that are waiting for Charlie's foster home to open up.

IF Charlie is a meant to be dog for you he *will* be there when you're ready. Otherwise, life means for you and another dog to be a family.

Good practical comments, Lenajo. I agree.

thanks for the responses. Given the comments from experienced people and that I really do want what is best for the dogs, I will not inquire about holding Charlie and will hold back on looking for a dog until we are 100% ready. Just to clarify, the reason I asked was because I was unsure what the issues are with rescue organizations or even what the rescue/foster process is like. Since space seems to be a primary concern, it would not be fair to hold a dog for someone, I agree. And to be clear, in my post, I stated that I didn't ask the foster family about the possibility since I was unsure about the issues. Believe me, I do not want other dogs to suffer so that I can get a particular dog!

The dog you are looking should be no problem to find. We have to turn down smooth coats often because they take alot longer to adopt out. Esp if they are young and male. Add mix and predominately black or white and it slows down more.

I have no doubt you will be able to find the perfect dog when your time is right. I look at them everywhere but, have to choose carefully to ensure adoptions.

BTW noone holds for the obvious reasons already stated. We will take a non refundable deposit for a week or 2 for vacation but, that's the limit

I have to agree with Lenajo (a very succint and to-the-point post, btw). You do sound like a great potential rescue dog adopter, but as Lenajo pointed out, every day that the dog is "held" for someone, is a day another dog is denied a place in a rescue.

I've been there myself, and trust me, there will be the right dog for you when you are ready -- even if it isn't this one. I work with Western Border Collie Rescue as a volunteer and we get absolutely incredible dogs all of the time. So, thank you for being patient and realizing that while YOU need to wait for the right time, the rescue needs to find the right home for the DOG when we find it.

Good luck and best wishes for your hunt for a new addition.

Regards,

Just a couple of thoughts - first smooth coated dogs do not necessarily equal less hair to deal with. My smooth coated dog sheds at least as much as my rough coated dog! But his coat is easier to care for overall and dries faster.

Second, if this dog is meant to be for you it will happen. I got dog #3 last week. I picked her up 6 days after I had decided not to get her. I had been corresponding with the rescue for about a month and most things I thought might be an issue worked out fine. But I saw no toy drive which I really need in a dog as I want to train for SAR work. So I regretfully decided to pass. Then 4 days later I was looking through the website again. The pup had gotten moved to another foster home and her toy drive had suddenly popped out. And the foster home she was moved to? Instead of nearly 3 hours away it was only 35 minutes from where I live.

But when I had originally decided to pass on her I did so knowing that great dogs come through rescue all the time and I was confident I'd find the right one when the time was right.

Ditto Lenajo. Yvette, I think it's great that you're thinking this through and now understand what holding Charlie could mean for other dogs needing rescue. I totally understand falling in love with a dog via picture and description, but I'm sure there will be another dog who will be a good fit when you're ready. :rolleyes:

Also, Maralynn makes a good point. My smooth BC sheds like cuh-razay. Our foster dog, another smoothie, doesn't, though. So it's a gamble either way.

Can't wait to hear back from you in a few months when you find your dog! :D