BC Boards

The impossible down

I read somewhere that the reason the noise from the clicker is so effective is that it directly stimulates the amygdala in the brain. I seldom carry a clicker around so I simply use a tongue cluck. I wanted a sound that was still unique and distinctive to signal with and found it to be nearly as effective.

Sita definitely thinks outside the box. You'll have to keep up with that little one for sure. I'll bet you learn a thing or two from her!

I read somewhere that the reason the noise from the clicker is so effective is that it directly stimulates the amygdala in the brain. I seldom carry a clicker around so I simply use a tongue cluck. I wanted a sound that was still unique and distinctive to signal with and found it to be nearly as effective.

Sita definitely thinks outside the box. You'll have to keep up with that little one for sure. I'll bet you learn a thing or two from her!

Yes, that is where the clicker stimulates according to Pryor and that is where mammals go in their brains when anxious or afraid. I really recommend her book, "Reaching the Animal Mind" for anyone interested in what is possible with animal human interaction. A very quick read. Anecdotal in style but backed up by science all the way.

Oh I meant to say this in my first post, but I was so excited about trying these techniques with success for Vala that I forgot to say: yay for Sita! And thanks OP for posting these questions! I loved the description of Sita going around your leg, and then being all like, was that all, that was easy! It made me laugh, but it was also actually very helpful for me, realizing going in I might need to shape Vala's crouching into a down.

We did a second session a few moments ago. Vala is now doing a down without the knee being involved. Just a lure. Now she knows what to do! So awesome.

I found this article in which Pryor explains the amygdala / clicker connection. I might try a pen down the road. Like, when she's done with heartworms. She's been getting more and more confident, but I don't want to push her too far, too fast.

I might try a pen down the road. Like, when she's done with heartworms. She's been getting more and more confident, but I don't want to push her too far, too fast.

I agree, it is important not to push too far too fast.

When the time comes, you might try a pen. When you start to work with the clicker itself, you can do many things to help her understand that the click is a good sound.

One good way to do it is an open bar/close bar approach. Toss a bunch of food on the ground - something irresistable and special. As the dog eats it, click a few times. Not over and over but click, pause, click, pause. Once she is finished eating up the treats, stop clicking. Put the clicker away and do the same thing daily for about a week. After that, try loading the clicker as normal.

I got this suggestion from a British clicker book. It's a little bit different from the approach that we tend to use, but it can be very effective with a dog who is fearful of the click at first.

Taking it slow is definitely important.

I found this article in which Pryor explains the amygdala / clicker connection. I might try a pen down the road. Like, when she's done with heartworms. She's been getting more and more confident, but I don't want to push her too far, too fast.

Yes, you're so right. From what I am learning with the clicker training staying under threshold is key.