BC Boards

Are there tailles BCs?

I have a friend whose dog passed last year. The dog, Dooley, was a surrender at a shelter and came w/ AKC papers. I know it's not that hard to fake a registration, but I got to wondering...

Dooley was a very calm and quiet dog, a dedicated ratter, and very soft, but not shy. There was not so much as a stump of a tail, and I always suspected her of being an Aussie in disguise. Any body know of any naturally tailless BCs?

Here's a picture of Dooley. (She was always a fat dog!)

post-10533-1254782413_thumb.jpg

There are enough Tri Aussies here to make people confuse them with Jin. Never seen a tailess BC. That would throw off there balance.

Tail-less Border Collie... isn't that essentially (with other exceptions) what a McNab is??? (I've always had kind of a hard time understanding what's special about a McNab vs. Border Collie, despite using the search feature on here numerous times)

Tail-less Border Collie... isn't that essentially (with other exceptions) what a McNab is??? (I've always had kind of a hard time understanding what's special about a McNab vs. Border Collie, despite using the search feature on here numerous times)

Thanks for the input! I did some poking around and came up with this website:

http://www.legacyconnemaras.com/McNabHistory.html

It seems that Mc Nabs are sometines tailless, but not exactly BCs. Interesting reading...

Never seen a tailess BC. That would throw off there balance.

I believe that the docked tail is what gives aussies that typical "sproing" when they run. As for a tailless BC -- it would probably be automatically assumed to be an aussie. I presume a natural bob tail could occur naturally, but I've never actually heard of one. I know one McNab that the owner insists is a natural bob tail -- I'm not sure how you would be able to tell the difference unless you saw the pup newly whelped.

There have been several "tailless" topics over the course of the last few years. You can do a search, if you are interested, but tailless border collies, while rare, are possible- due to simple accident prior to birth- another pup pressing against the tail area and preventing development, or a mother dog biting the tail off at birth. Both tailless dogs I have known are called...what else? Bob.