BC Boards

2010 Finals streaming video?

Hello,

I put this out at another message board a few days ago, but have no replies yet. I'm not sure whether that's because no one knows the answers, or people have been busy, or no one's interested in the idea/topic, so I'll just put it here, too.

I have an idea for the 2010 (and future) Finals that might either be good or impossible to implement. Thought I'd run it by a few people before sending it on to the 2010 folks and perhaps making even bigger a fool of myself. icon_e_biggrin.gif

I know I'm not alone in doing lots of "refreshing" on the 2009 Finals results page(s) over the last few days. I was thinking it would be really great if the Finals had streaming video coverage. I'd suggest charging a subscription or participation fee to cover any expenses, and also to try to avoid overburdening the server (or whatever manages the site traffic) as free streaming video might invite too many viewers. I'd say that at least for first time experimental purposes, broadcasting only the double lift finals on Sunday would be sufficient. Also for the sake of starting small, perhaps using one camera and showing just the in-bye work (or drive and in-bye) would be okay. I'd imagine at least three cameras would be needed if the intent was to cover the gather/fetch.

I would pay to view something like this (although I plan to attend the 2010 Finals in person).

Is this even possible to do? Do you think there would be enough interest? Any ideas what it might cost?

I'm sorry I don't have any input for your question... but can anyone tell me where and when the 2010 Finals are??

Hello Everyone,

I'm sorry I don't have any input for your question... but can anyone tell me where and when the 2010 Finals are??

The 2010 National Sheepdog Finals will be in Middletown, VA at the beautiful and historic Belle Grove Plantation. This is the same place where the 1999 Finals were held, and it will be terrific to attend another event there!

Regards to all,

nancy

You can talk to Diane's husband about streaming video. He thought it was ridiculous that we didn't have it. It would be cool, but... at least in Klamath, we had constant power issues- it would flicker in and out. We were out in the middle of a hay field. Any internet uploading had to be done by aircard, and I have no idea how fast the connection was. Also, unless you had an amazing zoom and a talented camera person, you wouldn't be able to see much. The double lift outruns were 680 yds. We could barely see the sheep being set out!

I don't know what the palace in VA looks like, but I would love it if video was possible, since I probably won't be going (finals are, however, on my birthday, so maybe that'll be my gift to myself. It was this year :rolleyes: )

At the Gettysburg Finals, some of us USBCHA board members got together for a nice dinner at a local family restaurant. I hope to arrange the same in 2010 at the Finals. It's really great to meet people from here in person and get to talk with them.

It looks like the 2009 Finals were a resounding success, and kudos to Geri, Lana, and all the crew that made it possible!

As Ben mentioned, power and bandwidth were the main limiting factors at Klamath as far as a video stream project; might be less of an issue in Virginia. Someone arranged fee-based streaming video and auction-bidding at the dog sale at the Denver Stock Show last January; I know there were some glitches with it but it might be worth trying to get in touch with those responsible.

Another option would be a store-and-forward scheme....do some video, upload to YouTube for example. Not quite real-time but could be good!

Amy

Thank you to Amy and all for your replies. So it might be possible? The suggestion of a YouTube-type upload might be a good alternative, too. Is there a way to password-protect the YouTube "channels" (or whatever the user's gallery is called)? I think there would need to be in order to have some type of paid subscription?

Of course, I have NO objection if Finals committee wants to stream or upload the videos for free :rolleyes: , but I understand that it will cost some money to do, and I for one wouldn't mind paying a reasonable fee.

Thank you to Diane, Pearse, Jenny, and all who kept us up to date with your blogs. I really enjoyed them, and the photos of the Finals which have been posted on the blogs and in the Gallery so far have really complemented the commentaries.

• 3 months later...

Sorry I'm so late responding to this post--I don't read the Boards as regularly as I should. I'm in charge of all of the Internet communications for the 2010 Finals. Steaming video is way beyond our budget, so we won't be doing that. I plan to do the following from the Finals:

* I'll be writing a live blog that will be updated several times each day.

* I'll be sending out some video and audio (interviews with handlers) podcasts that will also be posted to the blog. If you have an Ipod, you'll be able to subscribe to the podcasts and view them there. If not, you can view them on the blog itself.

* I'll be using Twitter to send out real time tweets for every score. You'll need a Twitter account to take advantage of this, but it will have the benefit of updating people both at the finals (who can get the tweets on their cell phones even if they're away from the field) and those who aren't at the finals.

* As usual, Francis Raley will do her typically stellar job of updating the scores on the USBCHA site.

I hope that will suffice. I know that streaming video would be cool, but it's just not possible for us right now. Maybe someday!