BC Boards

On-farm slaughter. Who's done it?

Deacon Dog

Saturday I sold 14 ram lambs to a guy who paid a premium for me to keep them until Eid ul Adha in November. He asked if he and his friends could perform the slaughter ceremony on the farm. Said all they'd need is water and would be neat. Told him I'd talk to the wife and let him know.

Who's allowed on-farm slaughter? Good or bad experience? Did you charge extra?

Apologies for repeat thread. I remember another on this topic a while back but can't find it.

We slaughter for ourselves for our own meat for the family. The State guy does the locker lambs here at home as he is mobile. And The USDA mobile slaughter unit slaughters here for the resturants and Butcher shops, (When they are functioning.) I guess my main concern would be that they know what they are doing. And you are set up to slaughter at the farm.

Although I am going to have to haul off island tomarrow to the 'MOBILE' slaughter.

sigh

I guess ask him how he does this and set it up so as to be humane as possible. Then act according to your convictions.

As for charging more? Well in some ways he would be saving you $ as you would not have to pay a slaughter fee or cut up fee to whomever.

But If I understand correctly they are his lambs that you were keeping? Maybe then it is right to charge for clean up or whatever....

Someites it's simplier to skip the "rules" and just another version of SSS (this one being shoot, slaughter and shut up). If they are his lambs already that's probably legal, but providing a uninspected "slaughter facility" may not be.

It might be easier to provide disposal of the remains yourself. Otherwise, I've found that some farms have learned their lamb guts is ended up in the fast food trashbin and the police are being called about "body parts".

From what I've seen most of these religious ritual farm slaughter of animals is humane.

Most of these guys are very nice. I much prefer this to seeing an animal hog tied and thrown in the back of a Pinto. Actually I wouldn't care to see anyone in the back of a Pinto hogtied or otherwise. :rolleyes:

Anyway, generally if you provide a hang place and a container for the viscera, and sort of oversee what's going on, much potential headache can be forestalled. The animals I've seen done are treated very respectfully. There is more stress involved with shearing. Most of the Muslims in this area who prefer on farm are Eastern European and quite urbane and nice to deal with.

We have allowed it, and it is a learning expirence all around, though our expirence was with hispanics. We have had no bad expirences, just kept pretty much to ourselves allowing them to do their own thing and observed from afar. We set them up with a hose with a spray nozzle and a wheel barrow for anything that needs to go to our incinerator or compost pile - which was not much.

We do not charge any extra, figured the premium we get for the lambs and not having to haul them anywhere covered it. BTW, next time we have someone come I am going to see if they will slaughter one for us.

Deb

We do not charge any extra, figured the premium we get for the lambs and not having to haul them anywhere covered it. BTW, next time we have someone come I am going to see if they will slaughter one for us.

Deb

Deb, the Kosher kill tasts better too if the animal isn't stressed too much before hand

Here in New Hampshire a guy who made a business model out of selling lambs (as well as other animals) and providing a place for slaughter was shut down because he was running an unlicensed slaughterhouse. I have chosen to stay away from it because I don't want to watch animals suffer if the buyers don't know what they're doing, and I don't have any way of knowing ahead of time whether they know what they're doing or not.

I believe that on-farm slaughter for meat that is to be consumed on the farm is perfectly legal under the federal food safety inspection act. On-farm slaughter for meat that is to be consumed by an owner other than the farmer may not be. And you also need to research state and local regulations. Stepping on the wrong side of the line might make a premium paid for 14 lambs look like chump change.

We do all our own slaughtering of sheep and pigs, and have some friends who we raise pigs for and they help with mucking out pens, butchering and cutting/wrapping. But I'd be a little nervous about outsiders, what if someone cuts themselves w/ a knife, are you liable? Or gets sick from meat b/c they don't hang it properly or transport it home safely? I don't think I would feel like the risk of losing the farm was worth it.

But I'd be a little nervous about outsiders, what if someone cuts themselves w/ a knife, are you liable? Or gets sick from meat b/c they don't hang it properly or transport it home safely? I don't think I would feel like the risk of losing the farm was worth it.

This can be covered by farm insurance.

Kim

Hi Deacon Dog,

I sell a lot of lambs this way, and have had very good experience.

My immigrant buyers have been, for the most part, very appreciative and respectful. They leave the yard clean, and they pay in cash.

A couple of my eastern Europeans are especially skilled butchers.

I have improved my butchering techniques by watching these artists at work.

I enjoy hearing how my customers plan to cook their lamb.

I provide clean running water, clean bucket, clean hand towels, and a pitcher of ice water to drink if its a warm day.

I want them to come back! and bring their friends and families.

Some of my"ethnic" lamb buyers have been customers for over 10 years.

I'd rather my lambs be butchered at home, instead of being crammed in a strange truck, and taken to a strange place to die among strangers.

Saturday I sold 14 ram lambs to a guy who paid a premium for me to keep them until Eid ul Adha in November. He asked if he and his friends could perform the slaughter ceremony on the farm. Said all they'd need is water and would be neat. Told him I'd talk to the wife and let him know.

Who's allowed on-farm slaughter? Good or bad experience? Did you charge extra?

Apologies for repeat thread. I remember another on this topic a while back but can't find it.