BC Boards

A second food question

Jax is about 40 - 42 lbs. He is turning 9 months in a week. Currently he is eating Science Diet puppy kibble which I thought he liked. Obviously the bag suggests an amount that is too high as they are trying to sell as much. As of now he BARELY gets a cup in the AM and a cup in the evening. When I say barely I mean he sometimes eats it all and sometimes not. I am looking for the boards input on how much their puppy ate at this age.

PS - I am thinking of changing his diet to one of the kibble suggestions from the previous topic. What is everyones feeling regarding Science Diet? Yay...Nay....????

post-9395-1251761100_thumb.jpg

I think it all depends. I have three dogs:

Jack-53 lbs-25" tall, BC/something bigger mix, gets 2 cups a day. He is very lean, all muscles.

Lilly-37 lbs-20" tall, lab/something smaller mix, gets 1 cup a day. She's 7 now and turning into a bit of a chunky monkey, so we just cut her portion back to 1/2 cup, twice a day.

Alex-32 lbs-19" tall, Border Collie, gets 1 1/3 cups a day. Like Jack, he's very active, thin and very fit.

So, my point is, it all depends on the dog, their metabolism, activity level, age, etc. It also depends on the food. IMO, Science Diet is not a quality food. Full of fillers that might bulk up a dog, but not build lean muscles. I feed mine Healthwise.

Here's some links if you want to check it out:

http://www.ourdogsonline.com/content/sciencedietscam.html

www.dogfoodproject.com

How tall is Jax?

PS. Sorry, I don't think I really addressed part of your question. I can't remember quite what mine at at that age. Jack probably ate 2 cups a day, the other two, less, obviously. If Jax is losing interest in the food, he may be ready for a change (see my comment above anyway! :D ), but I also think I've heard a few people say that when their BC reached 9-12 months, they kind of went through a period of less interest in food. Don't quote me on it, though. Mine have NEVER lost interest in food. :rolleyes:

Nay.

My youngsters have gotten about 1 cup good quality (California Natural, old Canidae, and so on) kibble twice a day. But it varies with the dog - one I have eats only half of what the others each eat, and is just as active and maintains a similar body condition (although she runs about 20% lighter in weight).

Other than for prescription diets, I wouldn't give Science Diet a second glance. I think it's pretty cheap ingredients for a pretty pricey food, and not worth feeding.

Jax is about 40 - 42 lbs. He is turning 9 months in a week. Currently he is eating Science Diet puppy kibble which I thought he liked. Obviously the bag suggests an amount that is too high as they are trying to sell as much. As of now he BARELY gets a cup in the AM and a cup in the evening. When I say barely I mean he sometimes eats it all and sometimes not. I am looking for the boards input on how much their puppy ate at this age.

PS - I am thinking of changing his diet to one of the kibble suggestions from the previous topic. What is everyones feeling regarding Science Diet? Yay...Nay....????

I'm feeding Science Diet to my five month old pups -- I did some research on when to stop feeding puppy food and my conclusion was that the protein in science diet wasn't all that high to have adverse effects and they're doing well and growing steadily but not too fast so there's no reason to switch them over to an adult food at the moment. Their coats are coming in beautifully -- glossy, thick, and very soft.

I am finding a lot of people not think too much of SD. Needless to say I dont think Jax thinks too highly of it either. He is 20" tall.

I would classify SD as a mediocre overpriced food. The ingredients seem to line up pretty well with the regular Diamond line, yet it costs at least 50% more than regular Diamond around here. I can get Diamond Naturals which has superior ingredients to SD (including more meat and no corn - corn is the #1 ingredient in some SD foods) for about 30% less than SD

Okay- I just googled ingredients

SD L&R puppy - Lamb Meal, Corn Gluten Meal, Brewers Rice, Rice Flour, Ground Whole Grain Wheat,

Diamond Naturals Large Breed Puppy - Lamb, lamb meal, egg product, cracked pearled barley, millet

I would classify SD as a mediocre overpriced food. The ingredients seem to line up pretty well with the regular Diamond line, yet it costs at least 50% more than regular Diamond around here. I can get Diamond Naturals which has superior ingredients to SD (including more meat and no corn - corn is the #1 ingredient in some SD foods) for about 30% less than SD

Okay- I just googled ingredients

SD L&R puppy - Lamb Meal, Corn Gluten Meal, Brewers Rice, Rice Flour, Ground Whole Grain Wheat,

Diamond Naturals Large Breed Puppy - Lamb, lamb meal, egg product, cracked pearled barley, millet

Interesting...I'll grant you SD is expensive and I'm open to change :rolleyes:. I was feeding Canidea until the change in ingredients....didn't same to agree with Ladybug and I don't agree with an all age dog food, at least when the pups were small.

Do you consider Border Collies a "large breed"? I would have reserved that category for German Shepherds, Newfoundlands, Rottweilers and the like. ...

Time for breakfast!

Liz

Interesting...I'll grant you SD is expensive and I'm open to change :rolleyes:. I was feeding Canidea until the change in ingredients....didn't same to agree with Ladybug and I don't agree with an all age dog food, at least when the pups were small.

Do you consider Border Collies a "large breed"? I would have reserved that category for German Shepherds, Newfoundlands, Rottweilers and the like. ...

Time for breakfast!

Liz

I've heard that about Canidae before. I wouldn't consider BCs a large breed, but the DN LB puppy is formulated or all life stages. I've fed it to my adult dogs because I like the ingredients. And they did really well on it. The LB puppy has slightly lower protein and added glucosamine/condroitin in comparison to their other puppy formulas.

And if you look at most puppy food, they're formulated for all life stages, much like 2/3 of adult foods.