BC Boards

did you see a difference?

Jax is going in to get neutered tomorrow. I was wondering if I could get everyone’s thoughts and experiences. Did anyone see a difference in their dog post operation or was there no change in behavior? I have had several people tell me their dog calmed down a bit and others say it didn’t do anything.

Thanks everyone!

post-9395-1246886832_thumb.jpg

The most recent dog I had neutered was a 10-year-old who had been used as a stud at a puppy mill. So I was delighted when these were the differences in him after his neuter:

* no more "marking" in the house!

* no more leg humping of people!

* less picking fights with my other (male, neutered) dogs!

:rolleyes:

However, with younger dogs who haven't had a chance to develop these bad habits, I haven't really noticed a difference in the dogs' behavior after neutering. I hope Jax has an easy surgery and a speedy recovery. :D

Definitely noticed a difference with Chase. He never marked in the house but had to mark everything outside. He's not so obsessed about doing that anymore. Chase loved the girls. He still loves the girls but isn't so much interested in mounting them. I think he seems much more into me and focused on me and less into his environment. And call me crazy but I swear he feels less pressure to be *the man*.

Hope everything goes smoothly with the neutering.

Michele & Chase

I agree with Kathy that it helps with testosterone driven stuff -- being distracted by bitches in heat, getting way too into women who are menstruating, humping legs, humping pillows. Sometimes it helps with inappropriate marking and dog aggression. I've only had one dog that marked inside and neutering didn't help too much. I think it just takes the "edge" off many dogs and they often seem more settled. At least this is the case with dogs I've owned and known.

Thanks for all the replies. Jax had the surgery yesterday and at the moment he hates life because of the stupid cone he has to wear. He is afraid of it because he keeps running into things with it. He doesn’t even move now, just sits on the couch!!!

Awwww... poor Jax. Although you are lucky at the moment that he isn't moving. Chase didn't care that he had been neutered and wanted to play as soon as he came home. Not good. Tried to crate him but that was worse, he did front flips and back flips in the crate. (and he's quite used to being crated!) He didn't care one bit about the cone and accepted it like it was a new body part. I had many bruises on my legs and scratches on my walls from that nasty cone.

Hoping for an easy recovery for Jax.

Michele & Chase

Nick was castrated at not-quite 3 yrs old. He stopped wanting to mark everything, although some of that was due to training because the marking drove me nuts. He also quit sticking his nose up the back end of any female we came across, and he stopped being aggressive toward the one (un-castrated) dog he's ever been snarky towards.

Now, 2.5 yrs later, Nick has started mounting other dogs and being interested in female scents again. He vet checked out as fine, no pieces left or anything. It's pretty minor, and he has no idea what he's doing when mounting- he seems to have a thing for humping my landlady's Border Collie's head...