BC Boards

rescue dog

Hi everyone--I'm new to this board but have learned a lot. We adopted a 5-year-old border collie from a rescue group about a month ago. We've been giving him lots of exercise and love and he's been a real joy. Just this week, though, he's become afraid of leaving the house! I have to practically drag him outside to do his business. Has anyone ever had an experience like this? We're wondering if it's because he thinks he's going to be moved again (he was in a shelter for a few weeks, then at a foster home for a couple of weeks before we adopted him). Any suggestions/experiences most welcome!

Thanks for taking in this dog!

Could be he's been scared by something that happened outside or as he was going out or coming in. A backfire from a car, getting his tail caught in the door or slipping on the steps or getting a paw stepped on - anything like that could be making him 'superstitious.' How does he act once he's outside? Does he come back inside willingly?

See if you can observe when it is he puts on the brakes, that might give you a clue. Keep things calm and low key, put his leash on him if you need to and take him without any fuss.

If he's afraid of something specific, you might be able to just jolly talk him out of it. If he's a quirkier personality, then you might need to work a little with some de-sensitizing to whatever it is he's afraid of.

Let us know how you get on with him, and what's his name?

Ruth

Welcome!

I can't really give you advice other than to try what Ruth suggests. I do want to thank you for adopting a dog and being concerned to come and seek advice. This board is a great resource of caring people. Like any "family", we can get a little testy at times but it's all out of love and respect for the dogs.

Hey!

Like Ruth said anything, even a little tiny thing could have made him a little freaked about going through the door. Good advice to watch exactly where he starts having issues, or if you can think of anything that may have spooked him. I would suggest trying to be totally neutral about going out. Put his leash on and just go outside. Be fairly matter of fact about it and don't hesitate. If he puts on the breaks, just gently keep walking (don't reef on the lead or anything to make him come). Try this a few times and see how it works. My dog is fearful about some really crazy things and sometimes she will just put on the breaks. I just keep walking and she'll follow. I stay totally neutral and say c'mon and keep walking. She'll be reluctant the first couple of steps and then deal with it. It usually happens when she's got to go into a new building for the first time. My old foster dog also had some fears about a few weird things. One was walking over grates in sidewalks. Chances are, it was just because she'd never seen them before. So, every time we'd walk past one, I would get her to walk over it. I would position us so she had no choice. As long as you're confident and the dog can read that from you, it usually rubs off on them. Lots of praise or other positive reinforcement once the horrible task has been completed always helps a lot!!!

Good luck!

julie

Just for an example quirk, my Samantha has decided that when I sneeze, something terrible is about to happen and she scurries out of the room in a hurry. She's pretty hard of hearing anymore, so I have to raise my voice to call her back, which convinces her even more some dread event is nigh.

A couple days ago, we were coming home from the park. She rides in the front seat beside me, and I sneezed twice. She was horrified, but luckily had forgotten all about it by the time we got home.

Ya gotta love 'em.

Ruth

I feel your pain. My dog lived with me for about 5 weeks, and then decided he needed to growl and bark nonstop at my ceiling fixture. For HOURS. Like, five hours. Then the next morning when he woke up, too. Called my trainer, who just kind of said, "I don't know." ::Sigh::

I finally got him to stop by yelling "NO!" as loudly as I could. It's fixed that problem permanently.

For the outside thing, though, I suggest what others do - just make him do it, and he'll get over whatever spooked him. Maybe link going outside with the very yummiest treats, too, or something else that he loves?

Good luck. It'll be worth it.

Mary

They really make you think and try to observe. My youngest dog is fearful and I have been watching him carefully for signs that trigger his fear. It tends to make me more aware. Watch for anything that may change around you like a new noise in the area etc. My oldest dog will not go out if he hears thunder or knows there is a storm coming. He knows this long before I do so I always know the weather forecast. I don't force him or show any concern. Sometimes if things are very calm he will come out but does not like to stay long. He seems to be getting better, he used to run and hide in a closet but he has not done that for a while. Just be really sharp to know what is going on, actually it is quite fun. It is not a good thing for your dog but quite fun to understand and help.

Thanks for all your helpful comments! Zorro went out willingly on his leash this morning, went about 30 feet from the house, did his business, and then sat down and refused to go further. In the past couple of days, he's been more fearful in general. He periodically goes into the bathtub, which is his refuge during thunderstorms. We haven't had one for a couple of days but had a bunch last week and I'm half wondering if he's still reacting to that. I'll try out your suggestions and keep you posted. Thanks again for your understanding.