BC Boards

Noob questions

Please bear with me...

I'm becoming more and more interested in stock work and such. I don't even have a bc yet, but I'm trying to read up as much as I can on the breed and well, stockwork is a big part of it, obviously. It's very intriguing.

First question, there are two arena trials in my home town later this summer. I was thinking about going just to watch but would it be weird for someone who doesn't even have a border collie to go?

I just have no idea how to start getting involved and how to start learning other than reading these boards. Are there any ways to get involved without having a dog? Since I'm still in college a working bred pup will be out of the question for at least a few years. I think it would be very good for me (as a prospective owner) to see well bred dogs doing what the breed is supposed to do. I have a lot of breed experience but it's been with rescues and sporter collies primarily and I'd like to see the 'real deal' so to speak.

Also, is anyone active with the texas sheepdog association? Or just any stories about how you got into the sport would be great....

First question, there are two arena trials in my home town later this summer. I was thinking about going just to watch but would it be weird for someone who doesn't even have a border collie to go?

I just have no idea how to start getting involved and how to start learning other than reading these boards. Are there any ways to get involved without having a dog? Since I'm still in college a working bred pup will be out of the question for at least a few years. I think it would be very good for me (as a prospective owner) to see well bred dogs doing what the breed is supposed to do. I have a lot of breed experience but it's been with rescues and sporter collies primarily and I'd like to see the 'real deal' so to speak.

Hi Laurelin:

I have never trialed, but I do train my dogs on sheep (super-novice!). I'm pretty sure that you will get the same response from everyone: it would not be at all wierd for you to go to a trial! In fact, you should go as much as possible, especially if you are interested in training for stockwork in the future.

As far as getting involved without having a dog, there seem to be tons of volunteer opportunities at the big trials: for example, The Bluegrass Classic (May) had an area on their web site where one could

sign up to volunteer for the trial. No experience necessary for the less intense jobs, but experience was needed for scribes and such.

I think that everyone would welcome you, and be happy to answer questions and such from a serious prospective owner.

Best,

Karrin

There is at least one person here who is active in TSDA.

As for your question, I think there is no better way to make a start than to go to trials, volunteer to help in any way you can, make contacts, see handlers and dogs, figure out who looks like someone you would like to emulate, see whose dogs appeal to you in terms of ability and temperment, and lay a foundation for getting into stockwork and Border Collies someday in the future.

I don't trial (used to trial a bit in Novice) but use my dogs at home. When I can, I go to trials to volunteer and to watch, socialize with friends and make new friends and contacts, and see what kind of handling and dogs would be beneficial for me. I have all the fun and none of the worries!

Best wishes!

Don't you think it would be weird not to go? To both of them?

Many interests are first piqued by a visit to a trials. Mine was.