BC Boards

Using Mane/Tail detangler on dogs

Okay, I tried a search but I'm not getting very far with it. Was it someone on these boards who uses (used) mane & tail detangler for their dogs? Mine get into the burrs --GRRRRRRRRRRR-- and a trip to the groomers is not always an option and I hate cutting all their hair off!

Any other thoughts/suggestions would be helpful.

Try Absorbine ShowSheen :rolleyes: Spray it on, work it in and the hair will be slippery like you've Armour All'd it so it will make it easier to remove the burrs. Best thing would be when you do get the burrs all out, spray the dogs well to help prevent more burrs (or at least make them easier to remove in future) Whenever I bath my rough-coated dogs I'll use ShowSheen on them to help repel dirt, twigs, etc. and prevent tangles. Noah has so much coat and Storm hates grooming so the Showsheen helps.

If you use the silicone stuff, be sure to wash it out. It will prevent the hair's natural oils from moisturizing the coat and the hair will start getting brittle and breaking.

For a really bad mess like when I'd get badly matted rescues in, I'd use M-T-G. It stinks like heck but works wonders. Which reminds me - I need to get some and work on Tully and Min. I had a disappointment with their dog food earlier this spring just when they started shedding and they both are half nicely shed out, and half nasty matted mess.

Baby oil might be another option, its cheap, but kinda messy. I haven't tried show sheen, just because of the price, but I know people say it gets the burrs out real well.

Samantha

My advice to you, coming from a horse person (who sells horse mane and tail products, as well as all sorts of other horsey stuff), use Rose Oil conditioner. It's an all natural product that works great, not only for burrs, but also mud, and anything else. If you use it weekly (just spray it on), you'll be able to just flick the dirt off with a quick brush.

It's great stuff, and to make it better, it smells pretty good too.

It's silicone free, so you wouldn't have to wash it out.

Showsheen also traps in their ability to relase heat. On my farm, horses don't get sprayed unless we are body clipping or on white socks because they silicion traps in the heat and sweat. I would assume it would have the same effect in dogs and could lead to overheating!

Showsheen also traps in their ability to relase heat. On my farm, horses don't get sprayed unless we are body clipping or on white socks because they silicion traps in the heat and sweat. I would assume it would have the same effect in dogs and could lead to overheating!

I've never heard that before. In all my years of horse showing I always sprayed it all over the horses after bathing them with no apparent bad effects. Same with the dogs, though they get bathed very infrequently so they I don't use the Showsheen on them very often. Years ago I did a high school co-op placement at a vet practice and the groomer that worked there used Showsheen on her show dogs.

KrisK, you may be able to find it in tack stores, but I doubt it... We'd be able to sell and ship you some, if you'd like. Just PM me, I can give you more information on the spray itself, price, shipping, etc..

ETA: Espicially since you're in Canada, I doubt you'd find it. I know we're the only ones (Or maybe one of the VERY few) to sell it in the Maritimes.

Here is what I have found on rose conditioner. It seems cheap enough. I think I will try some. If my dogs don't do good on it my horses might. All my dogs are ruff coat and a pain to keep up with durning the hight of sheading.

By providing an incredible moisture level, Premier Rose’ Conditioner, allows the skin and hair to loose the static electricity that can attract dust and dirt. Premier Rose’ Conditioner ensures moisture levels that reduce the ability to soak up and set in stains. The hair generally deepens in color, two to three shades.

This is the product that has been known as the “Barn Secret” for over 15 years. (The beautiful smell always gave it away.) Spray Premier Rose’ Conditioner over the entire body, mane and tail, they can be wet or dry. Brush in. With just pennies per day and in three to five minutes, you can attain the optimum healthy skin and hair you and your horse have always wanted.

NW MONTANA BC, it really is a great product! We use it on our horses, and it wokrs wonders for growing out manes, keeping them tangle free, and making them look healthy.

We also use the shampoo's here for the dogs and horses both, and the whitening shampoo makes my Zozo SHINE, and GLOW. Works great! And smells REALLY good. (The normal stuff (Nature's Clean) doesn't smell so great)... And I've used both the rose oil and the White Magic shampoos on myself with no damage to me hair.