BC Boards

Update on the little dog with severe allergies.

My little dog (I'm taking care of her for a client) with the bad skin problems made it to the vet this morning. I got her in first thing.

The real problem is not her allergies (although that is what started it all) but that she has a severe yeast infection And a bad ear infection - also yeast.

So we have predinsone to help with the itching and to bring the swelling down. We have anti-yeast medicine. And we have some fancy ear medicine.

She should be feeling a whole lot better probably by tomorrow or the day after. Thank goodness. I felt so badly for her.

Boy was she stinky. I had no idea yeast made them smell so bad. And when my vet put a swab into her ear and then pulled it out her ear started to smell - almost knocked me over.

I was just up there and I really think she is already feeling better. But I have been itching all afternoon - has to all be in my head - I hope.

One of the sad things about people who really try to do the right thing and adopt rescues is that they often don't realize just how expenisve that can be as the dogs get older. This client has six dogs. Fortunately the four younger ones are all really healthy. But the two shelties are getting old and they are starting to have some problems.

Thank you for helping but I am afraid your job is not done.

The severe yeast infection is a symptom of something. It will only come back unless you can figure out the cause.

The dog's thyroid should be checked and the possibility of food allergies needs to be investigated.

Good luck

I was just up there and I really think she is already feeling better. But I have been itching all afternoon - has to all be in my head - I hope.

LOL. It's in your head!

I agree with 2Devils though, there is something else going on that needs to be addressed. How long is the owner gone for? Personally I would keep an eye on that situation and make sure the owner keeps up with vet care. IMO, that classifies as animal cruelty, especially if you know it's not just a food allergy. (not you, but the owner I should ad) You did the right thing and I'm glad you brought her in. The predinsone will help her feel better! Good Job!

She is lots better. I am hoping I can get her owner to keep up the medicine and get her back for a follow-up in two weeks. She promised me on a stack of Bibles that she would. But you just never know.

I can only do so much. She isn't my dog. But I can throw a big fit about it.

I've got her on California Natural dog food right now - its good for allergies.

IME dogs who have flea allergy or other skin-related allergies can develop yeast infections as a result of all the scratching. If the yeast infection is treated the first time around and the allergy problem is addressed, then it's quite possible the dog won't have recurring yeast infections.

J.

IME dogs who have flea allergy or other skin-related allergies can develop yeast infections as a result of all the scratching. If the yeast infection is treated the first time around and the allergy problem is addressed, then it's quite possible the dog won't have recurring yeast infections.

J.

This little dog has had allergies all her life I think. And I think its grass. The trouble is that the owner doesn't keep her on her medicine until she is cleared up. She gets better and the owner stops the pills.

I hope I have her convinced that she can't stop until she knows the dog is clear. Dog is supposed to go back to the vet in two weeks. I told her I would be happy to take her since she works long hours.

We will just have to see.

My oldest dog Mac has had allergies since he was a puppy and it shows up as skin rashes and ear infections sometimes quite severe and very rapid, at times almost over night. We did battle with this for a couple of years until we finally found a combination of food and medication that works. He is on a standard anti-allergy pill every day and Novolexin every day, he has been for years. He gets frequent baths. We find that if we forget or run out of his medication it will flair up immediately. If the owner does not attack it she may find the same situation. We do like like medicating Mac every day, we do not know the long term effects but after trying everything we are left with just this. I can't imagine just leaving it to chance. A couple of puppies from his litter were put down because of severe problems and owners who did not take care of the situation. Thanks for your work.