BC Boards

Bobbed tails?

I know of one but I think they determined it was an injury or other issue (cord wrapped around tail) in utro. He was def. born without a tail but never stopped him from getting the job done!

I have seen Border Collies with natural bob tails. The last litter I saw was nearly 30 years ago. That was a litter with a couple of natural bob tails. They were longish, not real short, but definately shorter than even a 'short' tail. they tended to have a kink at the end also.

The one I'm talking about is probably about 6 yrs old. It didn't impair his work in the least. The vet was only guessing about why he was the only one out of that line with no tail.

Here is a pic of the dog in question. Anyone familiar enough with Mcnabs to hazard a guess on whether she could be one? My rancher neighbor has one and they do appear similar. In particular, the ribcage seems just a bit more well-sprung than the average BC. Both his and this girl are on the smaller side of what I understand to be the normal range for McNabs. She's about 30lbs.

Kimmie6.jpgKimmie7.jpg

Here is a pic of the dog in question. Anyone familiar enough with Mcnabs to hazard a guess on whether she could be one? My rancher neighbor has one and they do appear similar. In particular, the ribcage seems just a bit more well-sprung than the average BC. Both his and this girl are on the smaller side of what I understand to be the normal range for McNabs. She's about 30lbs.

Kimmie6.jpgKimmie7.jpg

I only know one -- Sofie, who is an AZBCR alumna -- and yes, she looks very like the dog in the photo. Sofie's tail is bobbed -- I was told that it was natural, not docked.

I've known of two- both boys, both named Bob, for some reason. One was bobbed in utero, something as simple as another pup pressing against the tail during development could have caused it, and one was bobbed by his mom biting his tail off right after he was born. Both were very nice working dogs. Neither were related to McNabs as far as I know, but they were nice dogs.

Those photos aren't too clear at showing the dog's build, but I'd sure venture something like Border Collie/Corgi if I was asked. That could explain the short tail. I have seen cross-bred Aussie pups with short to mid-length tails.