BC Boards

Odin pulled, I hurt my hand this evening

I was at the park with odin today, sitting at our usual picnic table, talking with a friend, when along came another friend (the old lady with the froo froo dog, some of you might remember).

Odin was very excited to see the other dog but sat quiety, until the lady handed her dog a treat. Odin was so excited he lunged and it was so unexpected, he pulled my hand under the picnic table, scraping it against the underside of the table from knuckle to mid forarm.

I know he's still a puppy who gets excited quickly and he didn't mean to hurt me but BOY did that smart :rolleyes:

Here's a few pics . . . I think it might be looking worse before the night is out:

Arm1.jpg

Arm2.jpgArm3.jpg

I went home crying because it hurt so much(It feels much worse than in looks, I can hardly make a fist) and Odin could sense I was in pain. He gave me the most pitiful look it just made my heart melt. He has barely left my side ever since.

Now my problem is I have so much cleaning and packing and preparing to do for the move and I'm not sure how I'm gonna manage with my right hand out of order . . . it's taking long enough to type this out!

Anyway, I really have to work on the lunging. He's not being agressive . . . just really rude. Sigh, I just feel so overwhelmed right now :D

Keep yer' chin up lass! I'd take a one handed woman with a hammer over a two armed man with a bottle anyday! *I'm sorry, I'm kind of punch drunk tonight* Ouchies it does look painful! I have faith in you! As a wise man once said "You can do it!" The packing will be easier then the training tho :rolleyes:

If i was you i'd make odin help as punishment!

Sorry about your hand damage. That does look painful. Hope you recover quickly!

Because of getting way too much sun on my hands and arms over the years, a dermatologist told me to cover up when I am outside. Covering up hands means wearing leather gloves almost all the time when I am outside. I have found from experience that having the gloves on has saved my hands from scraping-type injuries when Bailey unexpectedly pulls hard on his leash. He weighs 75 pounds, all muscle, and he can go into instant chase mode with no warning if he sees a squirrel or other little critter. There have been occasions when he did that and my hands would have suffered damage (like yours did) except for the fact that I had my leather gloves on. So you may want to consider investing in a pair of leather gloves that you wear whenever you have Odin out on a leash.

Hector, that sounds like a great idea, but leather gloves and a Toronto Summer would be pretty painful too! :rolleyes: Definitely something I'm going to invest in when fall comes though.

And just as I thought, the swelling and bruising got alot worse, but it feels much better today.