BC Boards

How does everyone shade their dog kennels

Does anyone have any ideas on how to shade a 10x10 chain link kennel. I see differant plastic tarp systems but I don't think they would hold up to the snow load very well. I have installed two 5x10x5/8" rubber mats on the floor and they work great, but when the sun comes out they get pretty warm. In the early morning with the dew and when it rains the mats stay pretty wet also. I put a 2" pitch in 10 feet for water run off but I should have put more.I would like to make it as confortable as I can for them. They are only in the kennel when I am at work. At night they sleep in the house. I have thought of steel roofing also. I am afraid what ever I put the wind may tip the kennel over. I know some of you have tackle this problem before. What works, what don't, I wish I would have done it this way etc.

post-9957-1240768564_thumb.jpg post-9957-1240768883_thumb.jpg post-9957-1240768934_thumb.jpg

Does anyone have any ideas on how to shade a 10x10 chain link kennel. I see differant plastic tarp systems but I don't think they would hold up to the snow load very well. I have installed two 5x10x5/8" rubber mats on the floor and they work great, but when the sun comes out they get pretty warm. In the early morning with the dew and when it rains the mats stay pretty wet also. I put a 2" pitch in 10 feet for water run off but I should have put more.I would like to make it as confortable as I can for them. They are only in the kennel when I am at work. At night they sleep in the house. I have thought of steel roofing also. I am afraid what ever I put the wind may tip the kennel over. I know some of you have tackle this problem before. What works, what don't, I wish I would have done it this way etc.

post-9957-1240768564_thumb.jpg post-9957-1240768883_thumb.jpg post-9957-1240768934_thumb.jpg

Pan stays inside when I'm gone; is there some reason the dogs can't be indoors while you're gone? Especially in Montana where it must be so cold!

All three of your dogs are gorgeous! Is Hershey part BC/all BC as well?

Pan stays inside when I'm gone; is there some reason the dogs can't be indoors while you're gone? Especially in Montana where it must be so cold!

All three of your dogs are gorgeous! Is Hershey part BC/all BC as well?

In the winter all of them stay inside in their crates. They seem to love it when I put them in there kennel outside so they can look around. When I am outside I don't have to worry about them when I am working in the yard and they like seeing me. Hershey is BC and aussie cross.

Check out shadecloth or awning cloth. I have that at my office where the former owner had an RV. It's over the driveway on one side of the building and it's where I park. It keeps my truck quite cool and has held up to some high winds. It's not solid, so the wind goes through it rather than ripping it.

I've seen people build a small metal roof then put shade cloth down the sides. I would definitely advocate one dog house per dog in the run. If bad/cold weather comes along the dogs may not want to share.

In the winter all of them stay inside in their crates. They seem to love it when I put them in there kennel outside so they can look around. When I am outside I don't have to worry about them when I am working in the yard and they like seeing me. Hershey is BC and aussie cross.

Hershey is GORGEOUS. I mean they all are, but that thick dark coat - lovely!

My husband built a frame of 2x4s and used metal roofing panels. We use a mesh tarp as temporary shade to move with the sun. This is at our vacation spot, so Buster is only in it when we are out for a few hours and can't take him along. We used to use tarps on top, but they fill up with water. His pen is nicer than the little trailer we have there!

My husband built a frame of 2x4s and used metal roofing panels. We use a mesh tarp as temporary shade to move with the sun. This is at our vacation spot, so Buster is only in it when we are out for a few hours and can't take him along. We used to use tarps on top, but they fill up with water. His pen is nicer than the little trailer we have there!

This was my thought also. I have a some used steal 2' x 16' panels I can use. It will keep them dry and shady.

This might not be feasible for your situation, but the storage shed in the background of the pics reminds me of a friend of mine who moved her dog pen butted up against a shed like the one in your pic. She kept one pen door open and put the opening up next to the doorway of the storage shed, so her dogs had an indoor shaded area and an outdoor sunny area (needless to say her dog pen had 2 doors, lol)

Check out this site : http://www.farmtek.com/farm/supplies/cat1;...es_storage.html

I have a 24x24x14 high hoop style for the tractor and hot rod from Freds Sheds. It sheds the snow really well, freezing rain plus snow crusty storms are sticky though, so we pop the tarp and break it so it slides. Make sure you get the "snow load" strength supports, not the cheap ones, if you get a tons. We get 8-12 inches per storm usually and that's no problem. It wads up on the edges and holds the top taut so there's little slack to trap snow and rain. I think the hoops shed better than the angled ones. In the summer roll the sides up for air flow.