BC Boards

Broken teeth?

We just noticed this last weekend that all of our BC Lizze's sharp canine teeth have the tips broken off. We only throw a soft Kong frisbe to her and tennis balls and other soft rubber balls. They are not busted off far enough down to cause her any problems with her teeth. We are just wondering what caused this.

Tennis balls contain silica that can wear teeth down, not to mention if you have sandy soil and the "nap" of the balls collects that dirt, it can wear teeth too. I'm not sure what a soft kong frisbee is, but plastic discs can also cause tooth wear. First thing I'd do is get rid of the tennis balls.

J.

Wow, I never knew that. I use a soft canvas type frisbee and a hard rubber ball. Hope those don't cause too much damage?

I was so glad to find out about the tennis balls wearing down teeth before I started playing fetch with Tess when she was a pup.

Here are the things I have been using for the last 3 years or so:

I use fabric frisbees, and we have a grass surface to play. If the frisbees get dirt on them, I toss them in the wash. I use rubber (or something) balls for fetch that rinse off easily. My husband would want me to point out that nothing we have ever wears out because I have so MANY. :rolleyes: The dogs don't care but I get bored throwing the same dumb thing all the time...

The balls I like best are the ones from Planet Dog. They have tennis ball-shaped ones and those are the ones we use the most. I also have some glow in the dark ones for when it's dark for our last ball game of the day. I've had the 3 tennis ball ones a year and they are just now in need of replacement. they are not like the other Planet Dog balls. The tennis shaped ones are not a solid piece, they have layers.

Anyway. I use frisbees that are Combat or Bamboo Combat or some crazy name. They are very sturdy (important here because Tess's reward for bringing the thing back is a brief tugging game each time).

Other frisbees I love are the Aerobie Squidgie discs. Those are fabulous for someone with poor aim. I can't tell you how many times I accidentally hit myself in the head or the dog or my husband... Sigh. I have improved, thankfully.

I should note that our fetch toys last a long time partly because they are in use about 15-20 minutes of each day. They are put away when we are not using them.

Allie + Tess & Kipp

http://weebordercollie.com