BC Boards

What size Mars Coat King

I'm going to try stripping Riley's coat before I take him Full Monty. I'm hoping to avoid the lion look but the humidity here in MO is just unbearable for him. I have a furminator but it doesn't seem to work well on his coat. So I'm thinking of trying the Mars Coat King after hearing a couple of people here rave about it.

He has a very silky long coat that is easy to comb all the way down to the skin. Is a Coat King really going to thin it out more or does it work better on coarser hair? What size blade do I get?

I'd get an 10- or a 12-blade to start with. The type I use on Solo is usually described as coarse/medium. I think I have an 8-blade (but mine is the Oster knock-off) and it works well on Solo's heavy coat, but Solo's coat is not silky. Solo's is thick, a bit cottony (neutered dog woes) and is getting curlier with age. Riley's coat sounds a bit more like Jett's -- hers is very thin so unlike Riley's, but extremely silky and soft. For her I would use something with blades that are a lot closer together. The one I have doesn't really do anything for her.

I have considered getting a couple of the cheap PetEdge versions in different sizes to try out too, especially for Fly and Jett. The Coat King works great on Fly, too -- she has a short but dense/wiry and usually kind of unkempt looking coat, and it makes her look nice and slick.

I use mine to help shed Solo out, no need to wait.

I'm going to try stripping Riley's coat before I take him Full Monty. I'm hoping to avoid the lion look but the humidity here in MO is just unbearable for him. I have a furminator but it doesn't seem to work well on his coat. So I'm thinking of trying the Mars Coat King after hearing a couple of people here rave about it.

He has a very silky long coat that is easy to comb all the way down to the skin. Is a Coat King really going to thin it out more or does it work better on coarser hair? What size blade do I get?

=========================================================

Hi,

This might help you to decide. I read good reports about the Mars Coat King, so I went on their website. They offer different sizes and different blade configurations (a bit confusing), so I thought I'd email them directly, describe my dog's coat, and ask for their advice (they know their products better than anyone else). Here's what I asked them, and their very quick reply:

To: info@groomersmall.com

Subject: Which Coat King should I buy from you?

I came across your site while reading a Border Collie forum.

My question to you is this: what size Mars Coat King would be appropriate for grooming my dog? Specifically, the size of tool, number of blades, and spacing.

He is a 45 lb Border Collie, rough coated, but his top coat is straight, soft and silky, not stiff or curly. He has a thick undercoat, almost felt-like or cottony. As we approach summer in Pennsylvania, I'd sure like to lighten his "fur coat" so he will be cooler and more comfortable.

Thank you for any information you can provide about which of your Coat Kings would be appropriate for my dog.

Here's their reply (which was very swift):

From: Bill Franklin at Groomer's Mall (www.groomersmall.com)

Hi Mary,

The manufacturer recommends the 16 or 20 blade Coat King. They both have the same blade spacing, but the 20 is 1/8” wider than the 16. Based on your description of the hair on the back of your Border Collie, this sounds like the right choice.

So, I ordered the 20-blade Coat King. It came quickly, and we are very pleased with the quality and the workmanship (made in Germany), and Travis enjoys having his coat "stroked" -- it doesn't pull, and it doesn't snag. It strips out the felt-like undercoat, but leaves his silky topcoat alone. All in all, we are extremely pleased with this product. Also, you can get replacement blades, if needed. It appears that replacing the blades would be very simple -- they are installed with real screws, not rivets or snap-ins.

I think you can't go wrong in asking them specifically what you need for your particular dog.

Hope this helps.

Mary and Travis the Trickless WonderDog

Glad I could help.

Riley is a beauty!

Mary Huber

Well I got quite a bit of hair out of him but it cut a lot of top coat and I was a bit too vigorous over his hipbone area so he looks a bit funny. Way better than the Furminator though!I think I should probably stick to cleaning the hair out of it on every pass. The end result is a bit patchy looking and much less lustrous than his normal coat. Still better than clipping. If I can't find some way to control the ticks on him I might end up clipping anyhow. Missouri ticks are entirely different than Pennsylvania ticks :rolleyes:

I think I have another use for it though! It should be perfect for thinning out horse manes without pulling!!

Well I got quite a bit of hair out of him but it cut a lot of top coat and I was a bit too vigorous over his hipbone area so he looks a bit funny. Way better than the Furminator though!I think I should probably stick to cleaning the hair out of it on every pass. The end result is a bit patchy looking and much less lustrous than his normal coat. Still better than clipping. If I can't find some way to control the ticks on him I might end up clipping anyhow. Missouri ticks are entirely different than Pennsylvania ticks :rolleyes:

I think I have another use for it though! It should be perfect for thinning out horse manes without pulling!!

----------------------------------------------------------------

Hmmm, you're right about removing the hair from the tool on every pass (good thing it takes only a second); I had to do that, then the tool was operating on the lower level of "felt" (which describes Travis's undercoat).

The good thing? It always grows back!

Mary and Travis the Trickless Wonderdog