BC Boards

What dry food Do/Did people feed their puppies?

Sheryl,

Check out the Wellness discussion in the Health and Genetics section. I feed my cats a blend of Wellness, Chix Soup, and a prescription diet with no problems.

I fed my dogs one bag of the Wellness but just didn't really like it (can't put my finger on it exactly, though they may have had the same diarrhea issues mentioned in that thread--they were having a bit of that problem, but since I'm trying to remember past happeninings, I can't say for sure there was a connection).

J.

I started canidae today and that is being well received. Jewel just keeps eating it. (new food thing?) I hope it doesnt cause her to gain back the weight I fought so hard to get her to lose.

Thanks I just read the wellness thread I guess that's out too. I thought it would be good since I like the neura canned meat.

I've been using Iams lamb and rice one plus yrs since getting Bandit on Nov 24th. He always finishes his food. Apears to enjoy it. When I walk him in the morning, he usually has 2-3 stools 10-15 minutes apart. Is that normal? Anyone else use Iams?

The following is a listing of specifically-recommended dry dog foods provided to us at Shadow's training school; you might find it of interest, as it contains many brands already mentioned in this thread:

ACANA

Blue Buffalo

California Natural

Canidae

Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul

Dog Lover's Gold

Eagle Pack Holistic Select

Evo

Flint River Ranch

Go! Natural from Petcurean

HealthWise

Innova

Innovative Veterinary Diets (IVD ? available from veterinarians only)

Merrick Pet Foods

Natura

Natural Balance Ultra Premium (the Vegetarian Formula is NOT recommended)

Newman's Own Organics

NRG

Prairie from Nature's Variety

Solid Gold

Timberwolf Organics

Wellness from Old Mother Hubbard

Wysong

My dogs have done well on

Nature's Variety

Solid Gold Mmillennia

Innova Evo (not as the entire diet -- too rich)

Natural Balance

Other kibbles I have used that other people had good results with but I didn't like were Wellness (not enough fat, dry coats), Canidae (same) and I'm currently feeding Pinnacle and am on the fence about it. They look fine but they have really "grainy" poop (not more poop, or runnier poop -- it just looks funny -- this may or may not actually be a problem). I just bought a bag of Merrick's "Wilderness Blend" and they like it a lot.

I feed either raw or canned in the morning for a small meal/snack and main meal of kibble in the evening.

I have tried a ton of different foods w/ Maggie and finally settled on Eagle Pack Holistic Select.

I used to feed Wellness, but switched when the formula changed, fed Evo for a bit and it's still in rotation just not too frequently given price, fed Prairie kibble for a bit but it caused more shedding and anal gland issues, used to feed Premium Edge but its made by Diamond so I'm steering away from that for now.

Many of the other premium kibbles contain chicken, and Maggie tends to get itchy on poultry, so we don't feed them either.