BC Boards

Which USDAA class to enter?

I'm hoping to enter Yoshi into his second ever agility trial in a couple months and am trying to decide which class to enter (Performance or Champion). The "Performance" class is less rigorous. He would jump at 16" (instead of 22"), have three more seconds to finish, and a lower A-Frame. I was thinking that Performance would be better for us since neither of us have been to a lot of trials (I went to a few with my Aussie), Yoshi is already 6.5 years old, and it would be easier to get Q's.

However, I entered him in the similar type of category for the DOCNA trial and found that there were typically only 1 or 2 other dogs running with us in the same height/level, which made me think that most people do not opt for the less demanding class. Also, I know Yoshi has no trouble clearing 20" jumps (though we haven't practiced at 22") and were were always well under the time at DOCNA (he got 2 Q's for the weekend).

I have no idea how USDAA compares with DOCNA in terms of time limits and course difficulty. Is anyone familiar with these two different venues? Do most people go for the higher difficulty level in USDAA? If so, are there advantages to that level?

I'd appreciate any advice you can offer. Thanks!

Most people who are serious about titling go for Championship, but there are still good numbers of dogs in Performance, just not quite as many (like 12 vs 24 in the 16"/22" height class at one trial I went to). I run Maggie in Performance because she needs the extra time (USDAA course times are FAST) and because she's 9yo. Ziva runs in Championship because I am shooting for a MAD title with her and she's young and speedy (2yo, generally well under course time). Z's also right on the edge of a height class so the jumping isn't as extreme as it would be if she were bumped up. She's 15.75" and jumps 16".

Actually Performance competitors are just as "serious" about titling as Champ. competitors. There are many reasons people enter their dogs in Performance, mostly because of their dog's age or poor structure or recovering from injury. The number of entrants in the Performance classes is usually dependent on the number of people in the trial; the smaller trials overall (like in NC for example) have smaller Performance entries. This does not mean you won't have competitive dogs in Performance though. There's no advantages or disadvantages to either class. Oh one other difference is there are no spread jumps (other than the broad in Perf. Steeplechase) in the performance classes.

USDAA is considered by most to be the most competitive and challenging venue of agility. I've never competed in DOCNA, so can't offer a comparison.

I'm a very competitive person and have run two dogs in Performance because of structural issues.

Thanks for the information and comments. I just found out that USDAA uses decimal points in their measurement, which could mean that Yoshi would have to jump at 26" if he's a hair over 21", which he easily could be (he measured 21" at the DOCNA trial, but they didn't use decimal points because in that case it didn't matter). Since we've only practiced at 20", I think 26" would be too big of a leap, so to speak. :rolleyes: Given that he's already 6.5 years old, it probably wouldn't hurt to go easier on his joints too. So, I think I will try the Performance class.

Just in case that measurement pushes you up, or you think it MIGHT...I was given this bit of info for my almost-at-the-cut-off guy. Take him for a l-o-n-g run before you get measured. Wear him out a bit. This might make him "slump" just a bit more. I don't think this is cheating - I just think 26" is too high!

I enjoy the challenge of USDAA. You might enter just a few classes for your first trial - standard, maybe gamblers (not worrying about the distance challenge, but you can pick and choose your own obstacles, if you want to work on something in particular, introduce him to that particular teeter, etc.), and pairs (only half a course!).

Dunno about PA, but around here, Performance is EASILY as competitive as Championships - as has been stated, for lots of reasons.

Have fun!

diane