BC Boards

Nature's Variety Raw Medallions

esox

Hi.

I was wondering if anyone here is using these or has heard anything about them. I am considering them as part of Alex's diet. I am getting a bit of resistance from J. She thinks that Alex will become wild and start hunting food if I switch her to an all raw or part raw/part Innova diet. I did have to chuckle since Alex views the wild animals, her lab brothers, and the cats as mutant sheep.

Esox

I think this is a very good raw food. The patties are cheaper than the medallions, which are intended for smaller dogs. They are expensive, so I do not feed them regularly, but when Jett was a small pup she ate them for at least half of her diet. I wanted her to have fresh food, but I didn't want to take any chances with malnutrition by doing a do-it-yourself thing.

I have also used them "part-time." I have also used the medallions, for an easy "on the road in the camper with a freezer" food. The medallions are quite small, and as others have said, expensive. But I try to buy the rabbit and venison - since those are meats that my dogs rarely if ever get otherwise.

And they have not hunted a darned thing - one's been on raw for years, and the youngster for most of his nearly three years.

diane

I also use the medallions as part of a raw diet, and they are especially nice when traveling. I don't feed at the full recommended levels on the bag because I use it as a supplement to other raw foods, but the dogs like them very much. And none of mine has turned into a livestock or wildlife killer after eating a raw diet.

J.