BC Boards

Training NOT to bark when left outside alone...

My dog Buddy tends to bark at random stuff (noises, scents, who knows?!) when he's left outside alone. In general, I don't have to leave him in the yard, so it hasn't been a big problem. During the day, he might bark now and again, but he was never out there during people's sleeping hours, so it wasn't much of a nuisance. In general, he's in the house if I'm home or if I'm away - he's only in the yard occasionally if he seems to want to be out. I haven't really concentrated on the barking, because it's never been something that I had to worry about.

Well, lately he's been needing to pee in the middle of the night, which is a new behavior after four years. (Another post in the health section seeks advice about what might cause this to change over a short time period. Vet check-up is next week.) After peeing, he'll just stand out there as a leisure activity, and inevitably something sets him barking. I'm pretty sure this does NOT charm the neighbors.

So... I need a good training routine or protocol or device that can teach the dog NOT to bark if he's left out alone. I'd obviously prefer not to use a shock collar, but I think they do make noise-producing collars? Anyone have experience with those? Or... if not... does anyone have a good, solid training protocol that can eliminate the barking relatively quickly?

Thanks in advance!

Mary

After peeing, he'll just stand out there as a leisure activity, and inevitably something sets him barking. I'm pretty sure this does NOT charm the neighbors.

I wouldn't be charmed either if my dog was doing that when we should all be sleeping. I'm with Barb. For the immediate issue of barking in the middle of the night, I would go out with him and make him come right back in after he has peed. It should be all business, no standing around sniffing the air. Wow, you are so much nicer than I am about having my sleep interrupted. I haven't read your health section post yet so I may not have the whole picture.

Are there other times he is barking outside?

Reward him for coming back in promptly. Make it a really good reward initially, so that he doesn't even consider standing around outside once he's done his peeing. You can taper off the reward value once the pattern (of coming back in immediately) is established.

Buddy will actually bark WHEN he's peeing, if he hears a noise. I don't leave him out there long, though sometimes I do have to "use the facilities" myself after he's waken me up. I have decided to go out with him if he asks to go during the night, because I can't justify the noise for the neighbors - he won't bark if I'm with him.

I really don't think this is just an annoying habit he's picked up; I think that something's changed in the last few months, and he's really desperate to empty his bladder. Just now we got up for the day, and he went right to his dish and drank for a while. This was unheard of for him for all the time I've had him; I used to worry because it seemed like he never took a drink! (Again, health section.)

Long-term, though, I would like to have a way to train him not to bark so randomly outside. So, outside the nighttime peeing issues... any suggestions?

Thanks,

Mary

Again I say: it is easier to establish the behavior you want than to train away the behavior you don't want.

If Buddy doesn't bark when you're with him, go out there with him. That way he gets used to peeing without barking. It becomes the norm.

As soon as Buddy is done peeing, rush back inside with him and give him a great reward. That way he gets used to coming back inside straight away after peeing. It becomes the norm.

Dogs are creatures of habit. Take advantage of it.