BC Boards

Runaway Rusty

I've only had my 1 1/2 yr old BC for a couple weeks. So far whenever I've had him off the leash its been in a fenced in area to play frisbee, ball or just playing with other dogs. Recently on our early morning hikes I've been letting him off the leash in an open field which is along our path. There is no fence and its bordered by woods and a highway with a fence(to keep deer out). He always listens to my commands, even at the dog park when other dogs are arriving and the pack bolts over to the fence he will return to me if I give him a heel or come command. He'll even stop and sit on a dime.

This morning I let him off the leash along our actual hiking path, which is surrounded by woods, squirrels and deer. He typically shows a lot of interest in little creatures, especially cats, but never attempts to chase them when on a leash. This morning he got a little bit ahead of me and didn't stop and wait like he normally does when in the field. He locked onto a scent. He didn't actually see any creatures. He just started following a scent trail and would not listen to any of my commands and took off following the trail. I ran after him following his trail in the snow and after several falls and prickers I managed to catch up to him. He ran by my feet several times and still did not listen to any commands. I literally had to tackle him and put him on the ground to catch him.

While I hate having to be physical with any type of dog I felt it was the only way to stop this. I'll never trust him off the leash again after this in a non-fenced area. Did I screw up? Am I putting too much pressure on the little guy? He was a stray when rescued and I have only had him for a couple weeks. I realize its probably just instinct and once he locked on to that scent he forgot all about humans, especially me. He gets plenty of exercise.

Sorry for the long posts, but I just want to make sure I do everything right. I didn't have this problem with my last border collie so this hunting instinct is entirely new to me.

The End.

Thanks.

I've only had my 1 1/2 yr old BC for a couple weeks.

... I literally had to tackle him and put him on the ground to catch him.

While I hate having to be physical with any type of dog I felt it was the only way to stop this. I'll never trust him off the leash again after this in a non-fenced area. Did I screw up? Am I putting too much pressure on the little guy? He was a stray when rescued and I have only had him for a couple weeks. I realize its probably just instinct and once he locked on to that scent he forgot all about humans, especially me. He gets plenty of exercise.

Sounds like in the short time you've had him you've already got a lot accomplished. When I (dog novice) adopted my first bc Riley at around 10 mos., she would once in a while lock onto a scent and be gone as well. Once I lost sight of her on a wooded walk we frequented and finally found her down at the bottom of a cliff (probably about a 75 degree angle and 50' drop), full of brush etc., camped outside a groundhog burrow. She wasn't coming back to me for love or money. So I scampered down the cliff (with my life flashing in front of my eyes!) and brought her up by the collar.

I had a trainer once who told me that while actually following a scent, a dog is physiologically unable to hear you, since all of its senses are focussed on what it's chasing. Don't know if this is true or not, but it's certainly the way it appears.

This program, mentioned by Kristine (Rootbeer) many times (as well as in the adjoining thread) would be a good place to start with some more training for you and Rusty:

http://www.controlunleashed.net/

Many believe that if there is not 100% recall at all times, then a dog should not be off leash. Since you've only had Rusty for a couple of weeks, I would say that it probably is too soon for him to have off-leash freedom, even if you're doing recall training in a confined, fenced area. In this case, a long lead is part of your strategy for ensuring proper recall.

Good luck,

Ailsa

ETA Try Really Reliable Recall available here: http://www.cleanrun.com/index.cfm?fuseacti...p;ParentCat=438

If you've only had him for a few weeks, I'd wait yet on letting him off leash in an area where you can't easily get his attention and catch him. It takes a while to build up a relationship with a dog who is older. It sounds like you've come a long way so far and I don't think that you've messed anything up. Just take some more time and use a long line when you're in a bigger area.

Laura

I realize its probably just instinct and once he locked on to that scent he forgot all about humans, especially me. He gets plenty of exercise.

I know that the first time I let my dog off leash in a wooded area with lots of new scents he was unfamiliar with he did the same thing--got on a scent trail and took off running! He didn't even hear me call him. I ran after him and once I was able to "enter his consciousness" again, he recalled for me nicely. But just as we humans can get highly involved in something and tune out everything around us, so can dogs. A wooded trail is a much more highly stimulating environment than a fenced in area. It will take some practice to teach him that he needs to stay in tune with you while he is following scents in the woods. Sounds like he's a good dog that wants to please, he just got overstimulated by the environment. I would probably keep him on leash for now, or maybe on a long line, so he can have some more freedom, but you still have control. You'll just need to work on training excercises in that type of environment so learns how to concentrate around that type of distraction.

I would keep him on leash for awhile longer until you can work on the recall more. You have accomplished a lot in a short time it seems.

For catching a dog that won't return - I will usually run the opposite way. Many times they will give chase and you can nab them. I hate to do it but you may also want to carry treats or toy as well. You just never know when they may slip out of the collar or you drop the leash.

I know some folks train a recall 2 ways. One is a come command and is not as formal. The other is a front command and depending on who you are it can be used differently. This command for folks I know is the emergency recall command that the dog never disobeys. I have never taught 2 different recalls so not sure how to make the one 100% full proof. I try to teach just one recall.

I will also highly recommend a long line. We have a 50' one that we use in un-fenced areas. Daisy's recall is wonderful, but she has reactivity issues with other dogs and running children, so the long line is a safety net for me. We always practice, on every walk we take. I will call her back to me and release her to do what she wants several times during a walk. I always make sure its a good reason to come. Praise, treats, released back to play, so that when I do need her to come in an emergency, she won't be reluctant.

I also agree that running towards a dog who is running away is not going to work! They love playing chase, so turn around and run the other way, make a huge deal of it, lots of happy sounds. Squatting down and turning your face away may help too. Not always, but it's a good back up!

Just a hopeful note: I got my dog when he was about 2. He generally stayed in my sight from the first, so I was lucky. But very, VERY early on, I had taken him to a large wooded area to sort of "test" his coming back. He saw three deer in the brush, took off after them, and I thought, "That's the last time I'll see that dog!"

I just stood still, calling his name, and he came back to me about 5 minutes later.

A little further into my time with him, he took off after a deer one more time. Same thing - came back after a few minutes.

That seemed to be the last time he had any desire to leave my sight (though he will let me leave him if he's particularly thrilled to be rolling in something dead!). A coupla chases after deer and he realized that he can't catch them, so they're too much work.

If your dog generally stays with you, you may end up as lucky as I did. :rolleyes:

Good luck.

Mary

I am hardly the person to give advice, having had only four adopted dogs over the years (all others I had from puppies.) So, I will go out on a limb and share my findings, hoping everyone will bear in mind that they are only my opinions based on my limited experiences.

My first two were young adults that I co-owned with my breeder, and that was probably over 20 years ago. About 6 years ago, I adopted a mixed breed that was 1 ½ yrs. old. He had been with a family I had known. He adjusted into my house very quickly…we had him doing tricks in two weeks. We could do most everything with him almost immediately. However, if I think back, it took him about a year to really adjust to being our dog.

My latest is my BC who I also adopted at 1 ½ yrs. old and came from a very nice family. You can go back and go through my posts. I am an experienced dog trainer/breeder/exhibitor…so it was amazing to me how lost I felt with this dog. I thought she was neurotic. I thought she might be aggressive. I was beside myself over why she did the things she did, and didn't do the things I thought she should. She certainly didn’t walk into my house and make herself comfortable the way my other adopted dog did. I have had her for 7 months now. And what I have found is a lot of the stuff that seemed like problems to me were probably due to no more than her adjustment to a new home and family. I honestly believe I tried to do too much with her too soon.

The funny thing is that when I taught obedience classes, I would NEVER take an older adopted dog until 6 months after he had been in his new home…unless there was a major problem that needed work…and then it was private lessons. I would tell my clients that the dog needed time to understand who his new family was. Ha! Obviously I forgot to listen to myself.

Now, after 7 months, I have a wonderful dog who simply gets better every day. We still have some smaller issues to work on, but over all, I can see how much progress she has made…simply because I backed off and let her adjust.

I am wondering if you are trying to do too much too soon with your dog; if you are trying to address too many issues all at one time. (I’m referring to your posts regarding the camera, the vehicle chasing, and now off leash work.) There are always issues to work on with a dog who has been displaced and doesn’t even know you. Maybe you are expecting too much from a dog who simply needs to relax and learn who you are, while you are learning who he is, as well. You will have a lifetime to share all kinds of activities, but maybe now is the time to just be laid-back and enjoy the “getting to know you” phase.

Looking back, I should have just relaxed and allowed my dog to adjust to her new home and family. That is what I eventually did. I probably wouldn’t even take her to obedience class as soon as I did. I’m sure every dog is different. But I really believe it takes some dogs much longer to adjust than others. Just another perspective. :rolleyes:

My best to you and Rusty as you get to know each other.