BC Boards

Things not normally seen

I went to get Chinese food at the local shopping center yesterday evening. When I got back to my car, I noticed the car next to mine had what I at first thought was a couple of big white dogs in it. I took a closer look and what I had thought were dogs were actually 2 sheep in the back of a Ford Focus station wagon. The sheep looked to be very comfortable in their surroundings. I don't know what breed of sheep they were but they appeared to be fully grown and were able to stand in the back of the station wagon. One of them stomped his feet at me. I thought about waiting to see who came back to their car, but I figured I would not know them since the car had Virginia plates. What a great car, big enough to haul a couple of sheep, but still gets good gas mileage.

I was once pulled over on the way home from picking up my new puppy(Mick). He'd been whining in the crate and I got him out to snuggle while driving. So I was weaving a bit. It was late. I also had bought a new ram lamb to add to the flock. The ram was in a big crate in the back of an older Explorer. The cop came walking up to me and noticed I had the pup in my arms. He smiled asked me to get out of the car. I did,. and we strolled back to the car to show his partner the pup. With that, the explorer started moving around. They got a suprised look on their faces becasue they knew I was alone. So they each shined theri flashlights into the back of the truck. They both started laughing asking if that lamb was a new puppy toy. I laughed, mainly cause I knew I wasn't going to get a ticket.

The next day my Dad was out cutting wood across town. One of his neighbors is a cop. Not the same ones that pulled me over the night before but I had become the laugh of the station. The cop told my Dad about the nutty lady with the lamb in the backseat. My Dad never told his neighbor that nut was me!

I also hauled a young llama in my Honda passport. That must have been a sight. I was to worried that he was coming up in the front seat to find any humor in it but I did get lots of strange looks!

YAY!! I have a Ford Focus wagon...I was wondering how many sheep I could fit inside :rolleyes::D A neighbour I know has a Honda Element. She sent her Honda dealer a picture of 5 sheep in the back! He posted it in the dealership window :D

We used to use our Ford Pinto wagon to haul our dairy goats to be bred. When we moved from northern VA to rural western NYS, we did so with three full-grown Nubian-cross does and two bales of hay, plus a baby in the car seat.

We used to get some mighty funny looks when we were stopped at red lights. I can just see the folks mouthing "what an ugly dog!"

I remember the time we got stuck in traffic crossing the Tappan Zee bridge with two ram lambs in a trailer. It wasn't a closed trailer so we provided some much-needed entertainment to the slowly passing cars in other lanes.

I've also entertained many a drive-through crew, particularly on late-night trips.

I can one up you, Becca. When I went to Orange to pick up that flock of 10 karakul sheep, I used a utility trailer with cattle panels converting it to a stock trailer (so quite open for viewing what was inside). One of the sheep was a mature ram. I figured he'd be doing all he could to keep his footing on the way home, but let's just say that he got a bit amorous with the ewes, which I'm sure provided something more than PG entertainment for passing vehicles....

Mary and I fashioned a hog panel into a pen that fit inside my Safari van and used that to transport ewes to Maryland to show at the Sheep and Wool Festival. We could have fit a few more, and we also had all of our gear, feed and supplies for the sheep while at the show, and a cooler. I've also transported something like four full-grown tunis ewes in that van, and on separate occasions a karakul ewe and a karakul ram, tucked in the space between the last crate and the back door, held in place with an X-pen.

There's no limit to how creative you can be transporting livestock!

J.

When I lived in Oregon. I had a carpeted Blazer- the old type- brown and white. My ex- hubby's boss said "Did your wife get two new big black dogs?" Nope, he said- Well, she's been at the auction again- only for him to return home with two nice Angus calves in the field. And no.....they didn't poo on the way home- lucky me!

I transported goats in the back of my "86" Chevy Nova. A Small hatchback car. I could fit a bale (150+lbs) of alfalfa in the back of it too. When you don't have a truck you make do. Once when I was transporting a few sheep in the covered bed of my Toyota p/u (small one) I noticed the truck was bouncing all over. I told my kids to see what was up with those sheep. We didn't realize the window between the cab and the shell was partly open and Seth had jumped back unnoticed and was working the sheep!

My mom and I were travelling on the interstate in Baltimore one year waiting in traffic to go through a toll and tunnel - we were following an Explorer that had a bunch of ostriches in the back. We laughed at them until we had tears running down our faces. Each bump movement of the vehicle their long necks all swayed in unison. Every year when we drive on vacation we talk about the ostrich sighting!

I had a Rhode Island Red rooster in college who LOVED to go for car rides. If you left the car door open, in he'd jump. He prefered to ride with the windows down - so he could feel the wind blowing through him comb I guess. I took him through the drive-thru window at the bank one day. I've never seen quite such a surprized expression on a bankteller's face before :rolleyes:.

Lisa

Before I had my truck, I hauled sheep in the back of a minivan. I had one ewe who tried to climb in the front seat many times. She spent the entire ferry ride here with her face squashed against a window hollering at passersby. The looks people got when the very large "dog" in the van "baaaaaa-d" at them were hilarious!

When I was in high school, my best friend & I used to ride our horses to a local ice cream shop. We once rode through the drive through at McDonalds. The woman in the window thought it was the funniest thing she'd ever seen, especially when my friend's enourmous palomino QH stole her hamburger! (He also had a thing for ham sandwiches. He's a wierd horse.)

Too funny. We brought our first doe home in our Travel Queen camper. Also used to show dairy goats and have taken them in the back of our VW Rabbit. Brought home a bummer calf once also. The 2 ram lambs rode in the back of our Dodge truck to the butcher. Wish we had had photos of these. N