BC Boards

Root Canal or Extraction

Kyna

Hi There,

Isla broke her canine a couple of years ago and knocked the cap off tonight and we are going to need to decide what to do. I did read the last thread on this (http://www.bordercollie.org/boards/index.php?showtopic=22358&hl=root+canal) but we could use some input.

She is 11, very healthy and I am not sure if we should pull it out or have a root canal. She is prone to breaking her teeth - she plays pretty rough - she has broken a couple of teeth in the past fetching a ball out of the grass so I am worried that if we do a root canal she will break the tooth because it will be more fragile after the root canal.

I am pretty anxious about this.

I am also torn. We just moved to a small town, the nearest vet I like is 1 hour away. But our tried and true and trusted dental vet is an 8 hour drive away. Yeah, I am not torn. I'll be making the drive. Perhaps if it were a smaller tooth I wouldn't make the trek but a canine is pretty major.

So root canal or extraction?

Thanks.

Kyna

Having just gone though a root canal myself, I'd vote for extraction if I didn't need my teeth to eat!

I haven't heard that the tooth is more fragil if a root canal is done, so I'd have to think about that one.

Does and old dog need her canines if she eats things that don't require her to chew to hard? Can't answer that one but bet your favorite dental vet can.

Good luck with what ever you decide.

Hmm, depends upon the break I would say. I had a bitch that broke both her lower canines (at different times). We pulled one and left the other alone. She's still going strong and the broken one doesn't seem to bother her. If it's an either/or situation - extraction would be my choice.

Karen

My toy poodle had 27 teeth extracted last year. He was 10 yrs old and recovered just fine. He still eats dry food. My Border Collie had 6 teeth extracted with no ill effects. He also gets along with no problems. One of my other Border collies has worn his canines down to the gum. The vet said it wasn't necessary at this time to remove them or do a root canal, but eventually he'll have to have either one or the other. He also gets along with no problems. I would just have the tooth pulled myself.

Thanks for your replies.

On further inspection it looks like the denten has sunk and the sealent has worn off. So she may just need it re-sealed but it was sure bothering her.

We did the pre-op blood work and it isn't good. She has always had marginally high BUN & Creatinin but now it looks like it is creeping up - I am not sure what the numbers mean - the vet just called and we are going to do a urinalysis and we'll talk again. I am going to post about this under a different title. I think we need to do further investigation before she goes under to get her tooth fixed.

Why do they get old???

K

• 2 weeks later...

Turns out Isla's canine was just fine - the sealant did come off but the dentyne had harded/healed very well.

The culpret seems to have been an abcessed pre-molar (one of the little in between molars). It was pulled and hopefully that was the source of her pain.

My 2 cents: It was worth the 8 hour drive to my favourite dental vet and every penny! We always had the full jaw x-ray when the dogs went under for dental work, I often wondered if it was worth it - absolutely!

:rolleyes: